Friday, May 1, 2009

"Now We Can See"

PUSH PAUSE-- SORRY, THIS VID JUST PLAYS WHEN OPENED. COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIX.

Hey People. This is a bonus packed Fav Music Fri so even you rock scardy's should stick around. First up-- the pick of the week-- The Thermals "Now We Can See." This is a catchy tune sure, but I love the punk influence, plus-- they have a girl in the band (I'm so jealous!) The real reason this appealed to me right away though is that it weirdly reminded me of this art exhibit I was in once that paired artists with writers--

--But I'm getting ahead of my self, first check out The Thermals. (Go on, jump around a little, I know you want to.) In case the vid iz broeken-- here is a link.



Awesome huh? There's something about "Our enemies lay dead on the ground and still we kick" that's guiltily gratifying. Plus, I love how he can't really dance. At all. But it doesn't stop him from totally jamming out and getting into it. The intense earnestness also sells me. Adorableness. (pets)

OK-- back to that art exhibit. The idea behind the show was to assign writer's to artist's entries in the show. The writer's were to write something inspired by, about, related to, whatever-- the piece being shown. The amazing Catherine Holm was assigned to me and her piece blew me away. Boom-- head exploded.

I was into making kind of abstract, totem-y pieces, and the art part of my brain is somehow disconnected from the articulate part of my brain. I know what that stuff means inside, but usually can't explain it. Somehow Catherine tapped into that and just got it and created this--

Totemsongs / Heartsongs
By Catherine Holm

Earth of our origins in the palm of my hand. Bring me back to my beginning. I want to feel my feet splayed in the wet soil as the roots of trees. I want my fingers to tremble as aspen leaves in a westerly wind. I am the whisper of big cats, the roar of a predator, the search of an eagle. I am the smell of rotted twigs. I am the silent sound of dry larch needles falling to the ground and ushering in the barren cold. The wind cannot catch me. I am the Earth.

In the beginning there was dirt. And the dirt was good.
We rose from the dirt, first I, then you when i became too lonely with the words and stories that began to tumble about in my head. Stories fed stories and we grew and spun ideas and inventions and progress that sped onward and we glutted ourselves until we could consume no more and destroyed everything in our path and crashed and rotted and ended and began again.

In the beginning there was dirt. And the dirt was good.
We rose from the dirt, first i then you when I became too lonely with the words and the stories that began to tumble about in my head. Stories fed stories and we grew and spun ideas and inventions and progress that sped onward and onward. The containers that held our hearts grew too small as our hearts throbbed with the messages of some ancient and future song that we could not quite understand, yet understood completely.

Our hearts exploded, released from their now-useless cages with the keys we carried. And we became something new, more than human, more than animal, more than Earth. We ride the spirit world, we are the universe, we see the truth with the clear vision of a crystal eye, we hold the secrets of the heart.

Every time I read it it gives me this weird tug in my chest, like something calling me. Amazing huh? Her website is really cool so go look. She's a writer but also does life coaching. Very cool lady.

In other SueNews:
What a difference a 15 mph winds at your back make as opposed to 15 mph winds in your face. Trusty Pam and I completely pummeled our 14.5 mile paddle yesterday. We did the whole thing in 2 hours, and really could have done it even faster. I had plenty left in the tank when we were done so Sat I'm excited to really go for it. As Pam likes to say, it "paddled the bitchy right out of me."

After, we went to McD's for cones, and let's just say never go to the Big Lake McD's if you want a cone-- they suck at cones, but somehow our stupid, melty, completely inept cones and my disproportionate rage about this caused us to completely lose our shit and laugh hysterically for at least ten minutes, after which we were even more exhausted. Whew-- laughing your ass off is SO good for you.

So-- this post long enough for you? Have a good weekend peeps. Try to laugh your butt off at some point. Later.

2 comments:

Trusty Pam said...

I just bust into laughter again reading about the "cone rage" incident. Good stuff.
p.s.-hope the bitchy is still gone!

Unknown said...

Trusty Pam--
I know! Me too! I still like, "Oh my god- my eyes have peed the pants of my face!" Good times.
(yeah- it's mostly gone now.)