Girls- were you ever a kid like this? A little tom-boy smarty-pants running around the neighborhood climbing trees and doing all kids of outsidey stuff? I was. Sheesh- I have one pal- and you'd never guess it if you just met her now- who lived way up north when she was little and her and her friend used to ride logs down the raging river up there! Like, sit on them like they were horses and ride them through rapids and stuff!
The biking lets me feel a little like that-- that little thrilly, maybe even slightly scary at times feeling of adventure. I never want to let that die out in me so have to pursue it. If I don't I know what will happen, that same thing that happens to most people. They lose that part of themselves and begin to rust.
The racers Sat were so amazing. I'm very friendly one on one, but in a crowd I prefer to hang back and observe. It seemed like a lot of people knew each other there, at least casually. A few familiar faces from running said hi which was nice. I guess now that I've started riding I'm even more in awe of these folks because I get what it is they do, how accomplished some of them are- and brave, fearless, nuts, whatever.
There were three girls racing. One was one of those fabulous, tall, long-limbed women who had a great open smile and really cool glasses. I couldn't tell how old she was, but she wasn't a kid. She competed with the advanced men! I felt like asking for her autograph. There were also a couple of those compact, plucky MN nordic blonds we all take for granted here, but who could go anywhere else in the country and steal the show. They were younger gals, and one is apparently a total mountain biking dominatrix, who has sponsors and holds clinics and everything. She won the women's class. Lamely I was too shy to say hi to any of these gals, but they seemed super cool.
Here's a cool story: The guy who was way ahead of everyone else in the most elite class- advanced men's- got a flat tire. When the guy who was in second came up on him, he helped him change his tire instead of blowing by the guy, then let him keep the lead. At the end they were so close it would have required a photo finish to know for certain who was first, so they both agreed to call it a tie. Is that awesome or what?!
I'm still having fun learning a little more each ride over there with Penny--(and now Pam & "Electra"). As expected the toughest thing for me to get through my head has been that sometimes- pretty often actually, speed is your friend on the trail. But I'm getting it, and expanding my comfort zone.Maybe someday I'll be speedy enough to-- OMG-- almost said "compete"! We'll go with "not be totally embarrassed to be seen" for now.
The rest of you who aren't into trying anything this darey- blow the dust off whatever bike you've got and get out there. There are so many nice trails in MN, and all over the world even super old people bike. Go outside-- check it out-- reclaim some of that feisty little kid feeling. It's still in there somewhere!
5 comments:
My bike is in the barn and boy, is it covered with dust! Bike riding tends to hurt my knees after awhile. I don't know why that's harder on them than anything else. I wonder how it would work if I had Java pull me?
Mary--
I used to have "bad knees". I have a cracked kneecap from getting smashed on some rocks in the ocean once, and had torn cartilage from something else that I had surgically repaired once, and it hurt to do almost everything. The stronger my knees have gotten the less they hurt. Now lately I've been jumping off stuff, like the picnic table, and doing lots of squats, trying to get them all strengthened up to land bike jumps at the trail. (hey, dream big)
If you don't work on them they'll get weaker and worse in my experience. :)
Oh I know that feeling- that's why I couldn't stay away from my ponies! Well, that and those purty long manes and eyelashes...
I know about not letting that feeling die out. I'm actually pretty cautious but there's nothing like a little adrenaline surge.
Love all those old bikes. bucky dragged one home out of the river on the way home from school last year. I painted it black with tremclad and leaned it up against the shed. It looks all quainty countryish. Yet still slightly tacky. Just the way I like it...
I was such a tomboy growing up. In the summer, I was outside from the time I woke up until it was too dark to see.
I would be much too scared to do the mt. bike thing, though, but that is a really cool story about the guy with the flat.
If only everyone in the world was like that...
Heidi--
I'm into the black paint thing right now with my gates. There's something simultaneously cool, edgy, and quaint about it. Keep that little flame lit however it works for you girl.
Kat--
I know. There's a lot of cool people out there, or regular people having cool moments. I feel it's good to NOTICE. Spread the coolness people!
Post a Comment