Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Clickin' Again

Hey People. I know everyone at times isn't thrilled with their job, but when you have a fun job like mine and the enjoyment takes a vacation and you don't it usually messes with the outcome (making whatever work you do get done pretty pointless). Yesterday I finally got back on track. The tunes were jammin', the welding mojo was back, and I was feeling it for the first time in a while.

What changed? Who knows-- but one thing that helped was all the feedback from you guys and from over on the art blog. Getting some positive comments and emails was encouraging. Things aren't selling right now, and between that and no word on the writing it was starting to feel a little hopeless. So thanks.

The gates idea is coming along. I came up with a rod design that inserts easily, and has a prong on the bottom that will seat up anywhere the chain link intersects. Now I'm picturing flowers, birds, butterflies, words, planter racks, replacing the piece on the top with something cooler... tons of ideas, and I like the look.

Price is the thing though. In order to sell, the components need to be affordable. You can see this example has 12 elements. If you say each piece is $10 or $20, it adds up quick. That's what I need out of them. Tack on another 40% or so-- what the galleries/shops take out, and you see the problem. I wish I could just set up a display somewhere and toss a $ box out and call it a day.


Do any of you have any feedback on price? I'm going to work on refining the design and getting faster making them. That will help reduce my cost. Stay tuned-- and by all means weigh in. Your feedback really helps!

In other SueNews:

In a brief email from AgentCoolAssChicka yesterday I learned I'm still in the "possible" pile at least. So no news is good news for now there.

And I had another brain storm yesterday. I'm always joking w/ Trusty Pam about the amazing stunts I'm pulling off on the bike when she's not looking. Now I'm thinking I'd like to work up the guts to go off that little jump that was at the finish line Sat by my birthday in about 3 weeks.

This is funny because to me and a lot of you guys this probably sounds really "ooOoooo..." (insert ominous note). But to the riders at the trail it would be like saying, "I'm going to try to make it all the way to the mailbox without my walker."

Usually I'm all by myself over there, and don't know what the hell I'm doing besides having watched some you tube footage. Seeing people actually ride stuff suddenly tosses it into the "humanly possible" category. Hey-- I'm a human-- maybe I could do it too!

Anyway, now that I opened my big mouth we'll have to see if I chicken-out. (Wee!)

8 comments:

Trusty Pam said...

Your gate is gorgeous! I will have to take a walk back to the shop to see it in person. Hope you can make it work out moneywise!

Anonymous said...

I Love the gate! I'll think about the price.

RichZilla said...

The best advice I can give you on the jump, is:

Don't try that one first! That thing is big! Start with a smaller one. Some of those riders can make stuff like that look easy, but it's way easier to end up with your face in the dirt than it is to land it. Before you try a jump like that, you'll need to be able to pop a pretty good wheelie. If you don't wheelie off a jump like that, the front wheel will drop right off the end, and your mouth will quickly fill with dirt. :O Not tasty.

Last summer I came across a guy laying unconscious on his back in the middle of the trail. His mouth was wide open and PACKED FULL of dirt. He said it took him three days to get it all out... and it tasted bad.

Let's go ride and I'll show you the trick to it.

Unknown said...

T Pam--
Thanks! A different look for me- no weirdness or anything.

Lynn--
Thanks!

Rich--
Yeah, I was over there tonight trying to ride fast over the log in 1 and the little stone ledge in 2, and wondering why my front wheel insists on coming down so hard. That jump looked pretty big when I rode by it. I might have to scale back my goal. :)

b_elliott said...

Ah, Sue, that gate is wonderful! Pricing - UGH - I'll think about it but I'm not very good at the pricing thing either.

JKB said...

Man.

Seriously - you are mad gifted with this wire talent. MAD GIFTED.

They make me all happy and feel so pretteh! I LOVE THEM ALL.

I'd ride my cool bicycle with you. I heard Queen the other day "I want to ride my biCYCLE I want to riiiide my biiiiike" and I thought of you. :)

Unknown said...

JKB--
That's funny, I heard "Fat Bottomed Girls" and thought of me...
(Hee) Thanks hon. I'd ride w/ you anyday!

Mary Olson said...

Trying to catch up on what's going on in your life. Figured I better start where I left off and move up. I love the gate! I want one for my new digs, wherever that ends up being. But price...I don't have any knowledge that can help there. Sorry.