Is this a cute idea or is it just me? (Really-- tell me. I don't want to waste my time right now.)
Another idea would maybe be using old screens and somehow making those into gates... (?)
Or old picket fence sections--? I'm thinking undercoated with one color, and top coated with another, roughed up, and then having metal flowers etc worked into the design. Bluebird blue over marigold comes to mind. (???)
Originally my idea was to make the entire gate, and that could stick, but then I saw all these old gates at the occasional sales and they seemed kind of nostalgic and kitschy. Anyone care to weigh in?
I've been in a creative slump lately. Big stuff isn't selling right now, and that's kind of what I'm in the mood to make. I've taken so much time off, no matter which way I go right now, I'll have to work my way back in. Work begets work. Fake it 'til you make it. It's like when you turn the hose on and it takes a while for the water to come out. The gates idea could be fun to fool with, but I sort of feel like making a big horse, or, stubbornly (hmm- moi?) more of those formidable female guardian figures that no one buys.On the writing front-- a popular agent blogger did a post this week about how writers shouldn't self-identify as "writers", saying, "unless you're being paid, what you have is basically a hobby." It literally gave me a chest pain when I read that line. It felt very dismissive and like a slam.
But I have to say something has shifted in me lately. Not too long ago I told a few confidants that if nothing ever happened with the writing I would consider my whole life to be a failure. Talk about laying your cards on the table. I felt like through sheer force of will, and working my ass off at it, I could somehow "make" something happen. Cause some kind of universal wave form or something.
Call it selling-out, burn-out, or plain old battle fatigue, but now I've gone more into "if you're not enjoying yourself TODAY you're doing it wrong" mode. This is not to say I'm done writing. I do enjoy it, even when it gets consuming-- which it always does once I get into it, but I guess I feel like I've released it a bit. It's not the only yardstick by which I'll measure my life anymore.
I suppose this is healthy, even though part of me is reluctant to let that fighter part quit. I don't know. That doesn't seem right either, because I'm not quitting, and I'm not giving up, but I guess I feel guilty for letting some of my zealousness mellow-out about it.
Any writers out there read that post of Nathan's, or have any reaction about this?

12 comments:
First of all, I think you should DO the gates, I mean turn them into what you do best! It's such a great idea, especially those ugly chain link gates. They could be recycled into something so awesome, and not only keep them out of the landfill but give someone a gorgeous piece of art in the garden!
Can you do them quickly enough that they'd be affordable/ you make your money out of them???
As for the writing thing. yeah. I dn't consider it to be a hobby because I do want to be published and I have this strong conviction that it will happen. It's taking way too frickin long but it'll happen. Having said that, we've got to be happy with where we're at. It's NEVER good to put you happiness on hold til whenever happens.
Look at me preaching about happiness. Geez!
You're in a better spot than you think you are. That's what I think.
I kind of feel the same way about writing. I kind of don't like admitting that. It's hard to put yourself out there like that, especially when we know that talent and hard work are only portions of what counts, and we don't necessarily have control over the other stuff. That's scary. Creating in any way is a tough thing to do, because it's a part of you that you have to offer up to the world, and what do you do if the world says no thanks?
Heidi-
Thanks, I trust your opinion.
I've always had that strong conviction too, but lately have been questioning it. Also wondering if maybe part of my overwhelming, almost desperate feeling that it HAS to happen is my version of the old biological clock drive to replicate yourself- make a stab at legacy.
Part of me is secretly going, "now that you've released it maybe THAT will make it happen." I'm hopeless.
Jay-
You're so right. It's incredibly vulnerable feeling. People who don't have that drive to create so don't get it, and people who do can't imagine living any other way no matter how agonizing. Our brains have to be wired differently.
I love the gate idea..and the screen door, too. Love the flowers!!
I like what Lynn said..you can't steer the ship. You have the right stuff...your time will come. I agree with you to just do the work. Go where your creative spirit takes you. I remember a zen-like quote, can't remember by who, "What you are seeking is also seeking you."
PS..if you are moved to do a big horse...go ahead...you know I want one in my back forty! :) hehe
OK. First I really like the gate idea too. But if you're in a creative slump and want to make a big horse or more of your guardian figures you SHOULD DO THAT! I have a mental image of a whole room of your figures on display. Like the the Terra Cotta Warriors and Horses in Xian, China.
On the writing front-- "unless you're being paid, what you have is basically a hobby." what complete and utter BULL SHITE! How many artists (fine, performing, writers, etc.) through the history of man kind have had to work and struggle for their art? BULL, BULL, BULL. What an uninformed twit! If every artist who didn't make money at their art quit this world would truly suck. You ARE a writer. What you do to make money is just that - what you do to make money. What you create is your passion, your sole, your blood and breath. (now I'm all freakin' riled up!)
If nothing happens with your writing "your whole life" is NOT a failure. You do know that, right? You'd be failure is you didn't try or gave up because you didn't make money. That's not really your ultimate goal. Besides who says you won't publish. Just because some editor nobody thinks things have to happen on her time frame doesn't mean the universe feels the same way.
I love you new motto - "if you're not enjoying yourself TODAY you're doing it wrong". I so glad being published is "not the only yardstick by which I'll measure my life anymore."
Besides it's spring - you've probably just got Spring Fever. Roll with it, enjoy it. And give me the name of that hag... I'm feeling ornery now and would LOVE to set her straight. :-)
Linda-
Thanks pal. I know- on the big stuff thing. I don't know why I always want to do stuff that makes no business sense. Apparently contrariness is my defining feature.
Beth--
Wow! (hair being blown back by fierce friend vibes). LOVE the image of a whole slew of guardians. I've always kind of pictured a battalion of them.
Thanks for all the encouragement. You are right- tons of creatives don't get paid, not their worth at least.
Nothing has happened to even discourage me about the writing. An agent has it now, might sign me might not, and there are other agents if not. This particular blogging agent (a guy) is coming at it from a purely business standpoint. It's tough to hear, but that is how the publishing world measures you- by the marketplace not your personal investment.
Thanks though, for your energy. :)
Well it looks like I am too late. You OTHER friends have said it all. And I agree! Jamie
a. You could market them as "gate accessories" that snap in like crocs makes those things you put into the holes.
b. What b_elliot said - the agent blogger is just an arse with an opinion. You are whatever you think you are. Are you only an athlete if you win an olympic gold. No, I don't think so. Maybe an author is a published writer, but a writer is a writer whether it's a blog or a best seller.
c. sorry I'm weighing late... you've surely moved on
I LOVE the gate idea!!! If it brings you joy to do, AND they sell (which they will), well.........sounds like a winner to me.
I have a "goddess chair" in metal that was created by a friend, and I happened to have it near my daughter's garage sale last year, and SO MANY people asked if it were for sale. I could have sold 20 of them. I almost decided to create some.
I can't wait to see the gates!!!
Mary
Betsy--
Oh-mah-gawd. You are a friggin' genius! LOVE that idea!
Yeah I'm always moving on. Anyone got a mood ring on 'em?
Myra--
Wow, sounds like such a cool idea. Love the whole "goddess" idea.
Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to worry about making money? I'm really grappling with that now that my life has been turned upside down. I don't want my life to only be about this sucky job where I write job processes and train people on them! The frustration with that comes out in all sorts of ugly ways. I'm so "lucky" to have a good job right now. But I want to write what I want to write! And I will call myself a writer no matter what any stupid agent says!
I think you have to do some work that pays the bills but save the majority of your energy to do the things you love. It's a tough thing to figure out but I do think I want to focus, like you, on doing the things that bring enjoyment to my days. If I try to hold that creative part of myself in, I feel like I'm going to explode!
Let me just say this...nothing I ever did as a WRITER before I got paid for it was any less important now that I am. In fact, my un-paid work is sometimes better...and I'm still, and always have been, a writer.
I love the gate when I saw it at your place (yes I HAVE BEEN TO THE STUDIO Ya'll)...and think it would be beautiful in a garden with the different colored flowers.
Post a Comment