Sunday, April 19, 2009

WEE!

The first time I ever got into trouble with my bike, er, trike actually, was when I figured out if I turned it upside down I could use it to shoot gravel at the side of the house. Dad wasn't so keen on that idea.

The first bike I ever actually got to help pick out was a purple number with a banana seat and ape-hanger handle bars. I used to pretend it was alive and ride it through fields and all over, just going and pretending the bike was taking me somewhere only it knew about.

We moved all the time and that feeling of getting on the bike and lighting out to parts unknown, exploring the new terrain, kind of got worn into me like a groove. Even when I was a snotty teenager I rode, sometimes with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth (wow, cool huh?-- not), but I rode. My bike still feels like a magic carpet at times.

Now Mama's got a brand new bag (mountain biking) and a brand new ride. I still have the hula bike and love it, even if it's kind of a joke. She rides nice and everyone who sees us underestimates us which can work out pretty good at times. She's for roads though.

This was the one I wanted at first, just because that metallic blue paint job was so alluring. I knew, of course, that that was no way to pick a bike. Al, the owner of the bike shop I frequent, Ramsey Cycles (awesomeness-- shop there), said, "I'm glad to hear you think it's pretty, because some guy just bought one for his girlfriend, but that's not the bike for you, not for where you want to ride-- too flimsy."

I originally planned to bling-out whatever bike I wound-up really obnoxiously, like my helmet-- back when rhinestone flames were part of the plan. Can't you see it? Me zooming along-- handlebar streamers whipping in the wind? Giant bell going "ching ching" as I blew by people?

But when I saw her -- my new bike...


All her gorgeous little details...


The fancy cranberry and white paint job I would never have picked out
but that is so perfect and reminds me of Hawaii...


All her brand new parts, still all shiny and gleaming...

I knew sticking a bunch of gaudy crap all over her was NOT going to happen. She's perfect just how she is. Her white parts remind me of go-go boots.

She was actually the only bike that fit me besides some lame-o fake mountain bikes that looked like giant Barbie rides, and this other one that was several hundred dollars more than I had. The BSG's (bike store guys) were amazed I was riding Hillside on my husband's too-big-for-me cross bike. Al said, "Once you try it on this, you'll be amazed how much easier it will feel." We'll see.

Some guy who works there, the BSG who tuned-up Dan's for me actually, invited me to ride with him and his crew Sat mornings @ 6 freakin' A.M. (I know-- farmer early yo) Al was like, "You should!" I said, "But they're boys. If I actually showed-up they'd all bum-out and be frustrated to have someone so newby and slow tagging along."

They told me lots of people don't even get as far as I did my first couple of tries, even on actual mountain bikes-- that fit. Who knows, maybe I will show up some Sat. morning. It would be nice to have some people to ride with sometimes. I keep looking for girls to do stuff with, but not much luck so far. Trusty Pam was gone all last week and I had totally no one to play with at all. (pouts).

In the meantime I will take my new honey over to the trail tomorrow (if it's not too wet) and try her out. I don't dare ask to join anyone's little ride group until I know I can at least half-way keep up. Stay tuned.

EDIT TO ADD;
Just noticed, my new bike is the exact same color as my dream drum set from a couple posts ago! (Insert Twilight Zone music here!)

13 comments:

RichZilla said...

Awesome Sue, I'm so happy for you! That's a sweet ride and it'll last you a very long time. Al's the man over at Ramsey Bicycle. He supports ALL the events we have at Hillside. I'll let you know when I'll be at the trail one of these times, and we'll have to meet up. I'll try give you a couple pointers to save some skin on the crazy stuff. :) ... of course it is cool for mountain bikers to bleed...

Have fun! Have you named her yet?

Unknown said...

Congrats! She's beautiful. Well, it may be cool for mountain bikers to bleed. Just don't bleed on her go-go boots!

Trusty Pam said...

You're right, I am totally jealous! I am holding you to the offer to try her out. I may have to get my own!

Unknown said...

Hey Rich--
That would be awesome. I've been @ YouTube "U" trying to learn some stuff, but could def use some pointers! Haven't named her yet but have been petting her and moving Dan's boy bike away from her to the other side of the garage.

Jamie--
Isn't she? I know you know the thrill of new equipment (clubs in your case). I'm going to actually strive for no bleeding at all. "Rides Like A Girl"

Unknown said...

Trusty Pam--
I know you'll want one! The second I saw her I was like, "Crap, I'm actually getting Pam's bike." Start watching youtube tip vid's so you don't go over the handle bars on your first ride please. Remember I don't want to have to medivac you out.

Trusty Pam said...

You are right, when I saw her, I thought she should be mine. I mean really, the color is perfect, in fact the whole bike is perfect. I know, I'll have to get my own. (pout)

Wingin' It said...

Nice ride! I believe in love at first sight - it happened with me and my Rocky Mountain Spice. My wife hates my bike - she calls her my two-wheeled whore.

Enjoy your ride. Rocks, roots, mud are all great. But sand is not our friend.

Cheers,
Ian

Unknown said...

Hey Ian--
Thanks for stopping by. Your book sounds really cool. I'll have to check it out! Ride on.

Heidi the Hick said...

Yay!!!

I love this post even though I'm not a huge bike person. Ok, truth? Not good on two wheels. Good with 4 hooves instead. I was galloping across plowed fields but still had training wheels. EEEEK!

this is so cool because my son "Bucky" just got (drum roll) HIS FIRST NEW BIKE EVER! And it's a beauty- even I know that. It's bright yellow, big shocks, fat knobby tires, disc brakes, the whole thing. He's 12 and always rode bikes he and his dad cobbled together out of parts. They had fun fixing up bikes but he deserves that new spanky hi-tek fancy bike. He'll ride it hard but take care of it too.

He'd ride that course with you for sure if we all lived in the same place. Do they allow horses on that trail???

Your bike is so perfect- it's robust and tough but still pretty. Pinstriping and stitching? Wow! Enjoy!!

Unknown said...

Heidi--
Wow-- disc brakes! Big time! Good for Bucky. I hope he rides the hell out of it and has a whole bunch of fun. Maybe he can get Jethro on one someday.
Def NO HORSES anywhere near this trail (thank god really- it would be a terrible combo).
;)

Heidi the Hick said...

You know waht? I didn't know this but while the girl and I were out, Bucky and Jethro did the ravine trail! Jethro's bike is two years old an pristine. I think he's been on it, like twice, haha.

The boy will change that now!

Mary Olson said...

Cool bike! I'm wondering if you know anything about buying roof racks for carried bikes and that kayak you've got me dreaming about? I have a Mini Cooper. Gotta dream some new dreams...

Unknown said...

Mary--
I have a bike rack that goes into a hitch receiver on the back of my suba, but there are other styles that attach to hatches/trunks. Ramsey Cycle carries some styles and can special order others. Al has always bee super helpful. As for kayak/roof racks, I'll shoot you Trusty Pam's email. She can get them through her work (which is right by yours).

You're thinking right. Throw in with some fun people and push into new adventures. You won't be sorry.
;)