Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lived!

I rode 3/4 of the mountain bike trail and lived to tell the tale! Woo-hoo ME! Some of you may remember my threats from last fall to get a nutcase 8-ball helmet and bling it out with rhinestone flames, and possibly devil horns. That never happened. Instead I got a modest little black number and glued words onto the back. "Rides like a girl"-- which I mean in the "as in totally pwntastically!" way, but in my case, for now, it is still kind of the "in your face you wussy girl" insulting way. For now.

I had some wins and some fails on my ride that break down like this:

Chickening out on some rocky downhill sections-- jury still out. Felt like a fail, but I didn't feel ready. Bravery fail-- Not getting killed win?

Screwing up my courage on a few downhills that looked scary, and one big bowl type deal with a swoopy s-curve running through it-- win!

Being overly cautious about my speed and chickening out on a big, banked downhill curve, causing my bike to slide down the embankment sideways and scraping my leg-- fail.

Dan's bike constantly skipping teeth and not shifting when asked, then suddenly skipping gears when not asked to-- equipment fail!

A bit of not cool waddling along, straddling the bike because I didn't quite make it all the way up the hill-- fail.

One girl-nad crunching incident due to slow reflexes-- fail.

Keeping going, even into one of the more advanced sections, heck, even trying this on a lame-o bike that doesn't fit all by myself-- WIN!

I talk all big, and do like being darey, but my self-preservation instinct is pretty strong. Plus, I know how eff'd I'll be if I get laid-up. It's not like I have Aflack, and I really go nuts if I can't burn it off every day. Nope, can't get big time injured. Have to be cautiously darey.

I have to say this is fun. I can tell if you have a bike that's responsive and you've had more hours in it could be really be a blast. I like the flowy feeling when things are going right, and how much it reminds me of riding horses. I like the feeling of my arms moving with the front of the bike, and my legs being shock absorbers. I REALLY like how you have to be constantly looking, thinking, evaluating. Half the time I didn't even know what was playing on the iPod, too focused on the trail. I think this will be really fun as I get better. I can't wait to feel confident enough to go down all the scary hills and go flying over little jumps and stuff.

Glad to be once again getting out of the box! Let me know if you ever want to try it. There are easy sections and harder ones, and like I said, you can always get off and walk through scary parts.

EDIT TO ADD;
The new miracle pants are a total success btw. They don't show sweat and seem to dry instantly, plus, didn't show the dirt from my one little spill. Later I was working and kneeling on the ground and they look totally clean and brand new! They are "rapid capri's" from Title 9, in case you're in the market.

6 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

That does sound like fun! I'm no good on a bike though. I'd have to take a horse through the trail. Is that allowed?

And do they make magic pants for riding horses???

By the way, it's not a bravery fail if you avoid injury. Just sayin!

JKB said...

AWESOME!

The girl 'nads comment gave me serious pause. And I am procrastinating by reading of your pwnage!!!

XOXO

Unknown said...

Heidi--
Sorry, no horses allowed. They'd pretty much hate it anyway. Nutso people zooming all over. I thought you were going to get gold pants for riding. ;)

JKB--
Like I said, I'm always available as a procrastinatory outlet. I give and I give and I give... XOXO back.

Mary Olson said...

I watched the video you had and it looks fun. Don't have the right kind of bike though. I'm with Heidi with the horse idea.

Anonymous said...

WOW.....COOL.....REALLY COOL!!! I have an awwwthentic mountain bike.....but it has a basket on the back where my dog Sally rides......and we usually take it mighty slow. On horseback though......now that would be some fun competition!! My 91 year old mother still hikes five miles at a time and one of these days I plan to keep up with her. I LOVE your attitude about life and how it inspires me!! THANKS. MaryLew

Unknown said...

Mary--
Neither do I-- yet...

Annon--
Hey MaryLew! Thanks for stopping by! I bet your dog loves riding shotgun with you-- so cool. I want to be like your mom, but also still biking and kayaking and skiing. I'll probably have to con a bunch of youngster 70 y/o's to hang out with me by then. ;)