Anyone who doubts my claims that math is evil-- look no further. Behold this evidence, from my very own "receipts" file.
I know. Just look at these disjointed scribblings, these numbers. (Shudder.) Hubs shoved this in the file. I tell you he is trying to drive me incrementally insane. Ultimately neither of us had any idea what this represented. It gives me the creeps just to look at it. I just threw up a tiny bit.
Shake it off. Tax day is over for a whole 'nuther year. (Yes, I know 'nuther isn't a word. I'm a writer yo. But come on. People say it. It's liberating and bad, like 'aint. Get feisty-- nuthahhhh...)
Some of you may remember my drumming ambitions. I've been saving for drums for quite a while. I took a few lessons as one of my "out of the box" moves and it was really fun. The only thing about it was I felt a little disingenuous. I LOVE music, especially rock. The rock tempo usually matches a heartbeat. You feel your life force pounding away with the beat.
But I'm not one of those people who is "musical". I've never had that driving force inside compelling me to play an instrument. Being in a band sounds like a blast, but the drumming thing doesn't come from a musically creative space in me. It would just be a way to enhance my jamming out.
But theses look cool as hell don't they? Don't you just want to bang away?
Now that I've had a taste of the scary, thrilling fun of the mountain bike trail, my drum money is going to become bike money. Yep, talked to Dan, and I get to get a new bike! (Not becasue he is the boss of me, but because we talk about any big purchases either of us wants to make.)Doesn't this look fun?
My real world life and my creative life are inextricably tangled. In my novel one character I really like is a drummer, another is this guy who has an adrenaline addiction. He uses thrills to constantly snap himself into what he calls the "right now", and teaches his daughter to do the same. Mountain biking feels very much like that. You are all the way there. Weirdly, that feeling reminds me of welding too. When you're doing it you're not thinking about too much else, although it's on a much calmer level. You're in the right now.Hanging out in nature all by myself for hours was what led me back to my real self almost twelve years ago. It brought back memories of fort building, and tramping around in the woods and fields as a kid, discovering little hidden away spots, feeling adventurous and immortal, swinging from vines. The bike gives me another way to do that that the drums don't.
Now all I need is to find a little tribe of adventurers for me and Trusty Pam to hang with occasionally.
5 comments:
I get both.
And I've been looking at a lot of bikes lately because Bucky the Nerdy Stuntkid needs a new one.
Ah, numbers, yeesh. Those bits of paper with numbers on them are quite terrifying. Gotta say.
Our tax deadline is end of April. Our business tax deadline is June, but we want to FOR ONCE get everything filed on time and not pay a zillion bux in penalties!
Which reminds me that I should go shuffle some paper, but I'd rather take the dog and daughter outside and like, pick up junk or dead leaves because I'd rather do that than think about numbers.
What would we do without grass and dirt and leaves???
Heidi--
I'd rather do almost anything but think about numbers. Except maybe clean, especially the coral reef that tends to build up in my shower...
Love your attitude! You've got me thinking about the whole kayak thing. Then I'd have to get a roof rack for my Mini Cooper. Probably not a good time to be spending money though. But we'll see what happens.
Mary--
Do it! You'd be the fourth gal I talked into a kayak and so far no one regrets it! Driving your won boat is the ONLY way to go. It would look awesome on your mini. Trusty Pam might be able to get you a deal on a rack (I'd have to ask). I can show you lots of fun places...
Mary--
Also you need to just go ahead and become a Danger Girl. You've got the spirit.
Post a Comment