Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Let's Get The Flock Out Of Here!

Fat bodied birds you make my rockin' world go 'round. Garden birds are now pwn'd. Cute huh?

I like 'em. I'm thinking $20. Try finding anything decent at an art show for $20. Recession pricing people. I always try to have one or two really inexpensive items at this show. Power to the people baby.

Some of you are into the weldy details, so I'll tell you-- to weld this paper thin stuff you have to break every rule. The glob of molten steel you usually DON'T want on the end of your gun replaces the material that burns away the second you contact it, and you have to back off as you weld. You have to hold the gun way off, like an inch away, and pull back as you finish.

No matter what you won't get the prettiest welds on this super thin rusty steel, but-- that's wut I'm talkin' 'bout. That is pretty darn pwn'd. (You can click to zoom)

This might be the last snow of the year. Everyone is sick to death of winter by now, but it was pretty this morning. No denying it.

In other SueNews: Today is me and Dan's other anniversary-- You probably remember this post from last Oct, but we did live together for about 10 years before taking the plunge. So today is our original anniversary that marks the giant make-out session that began our "You are not the boss of me" (eye roll) (sigh) "I know." (secretly thinks they are the total boss) relationship.

For a quick review, with over half of relationships failing, what is the secret to staying a power pair for 25 years? Here's what we think (yes, I actually asked Dan, so some of these are his answers.)

1) Pick right in the first place. It's not going to work unless both people's idea of what they want their life to look like matches up.

2) Mostly it's a firm decision you make in your mind. When the escape clause is off the table, stuff HAS to be worked out. You have to be in it to win it.

3) Be the other person's safe place. No betrayals-- ever. No belittling their dreams. No looking for every little thing "wrong".

4) Laugh and goof around as much as possible. Life is supposed to be fun.

5) Get a life. The other person isn't there to complete you-- that's your job. You share the lives you have. Stay plugged in.

6) Look around every once in a while and appreciate how sweet you have it. No matter what's going on there is always some stuff to feel lucky about-- notice that stuff. Don't dwell on all the stuff that's not ideal.

It was fun talking about this with Dan because he's not a huge introspection guy. We continue to be mostly on the same page. I picked good.

7 comments:

JKB said...

I agree with everything in this post.

I love the birds.

I HEART the horse.

very cool.

HUG

b_elliott said...

Cool, Sue, very cool. Congrats on 25 years and your great relationship. I agree on every one of your points.

Oh, and the birds are great too!

Linda T said...

First congratulations! It is rare and we are lucky gals. (Of course, our men got the BEST, too!) I agree with all your thoughts and would like to add, "learn to think of the things that might bug you about each other as endearing qualities." :)

Love the bluebirds!!!!! want some!! And...I still want the horse. The steed looks beautiful grazing in this morning's snow and I agree, how can we be mad at something so beautiful. But, I AM over it and really ready for sandal weather.

Unknown said...

JKB--
Thanks ((hugs you back))

b_elliott--
Thanks. Hope to see you guys sat.

Linda-T--
Good point, although as the victim of a really gross bacon-y fart right now, it's not endearing at all.
Also, yes, bring on the sandals.

Unknown said...

Ok- I just dissed Dan for his gross fart, but I have to add his whiskers are really sexy tonight. Plus, he just totally busted me.

Mary Olson said...

The horse sculpture is is is indescribably gorgeous! Love the birds too. Totally worth it. You and Dan are so right on your secret 6 to a lasting relationship.

Unknown said...

Mary--
Yeah, good old # 6 is kind of "how to just make your life less sucky all around" advice huh? I'm always amazed at stuff like how some person in Africa is going to be overjoyed to receive my old worn-out running shoes. What the hell do I have to complain about?