So here's a little tour of some of the now clean parts of my home. This is the thermostat monkey my pal Linda gave me. His twin lives at her house somewhere. The thermo monkey is always watching. Don't waste heat!

This is the tiny cat walking across the doorway to our kitchen no one ever notices. He's very secretive. Nice paint job huh? Looks like someone tossed urine all over the walls doesn't it? Yeah. You know how when you move into a place you're all, "Well, we're for sure changing this and that?" Haven't quite gotten around to it yet. Peetastic.
This is half the desk in the kitchen. It holds numerous treasures as you can see. (Click for bigger views on any of these.) The cool shell I got from the river running behind our house. The stone under it fits the shape of my palm exactly, and has a vein carved through it that lines up perfectly with my life line. That seemed pretty cosmic so I kept it. The card behind the pens has two old showgirls on it. One says, "Does this make me look trampy?" The other answers, "A little." "Then I need more." "Rock on." I also like the little dolls hanging out in the lid of the marker box. There's lots here...
My window is surrounded by pics-- Sis chasing my future Danger Girl niece around on the beach, my mom holding my rockin' nephew, me and Dan, Dan drinking the biggest mug of cocoa known to man, my feet (I'll explain in a second), my dad, and Dan in Hawaii. Oh, and an elephant. Like those.
Other half-- oh boy! Megan dressed as her own made-up superhero (so cool), feet-- OK, here's the thing-- I have this thing about taking pics of my feet when I'm somewhere I love really digging it big time and I want to always remember the feeling of that exact moment. It works. It's like a sense memory. I can feel that water, that grass, those rocks, smell that air, feel the sun. It's part of my ongoing love affair with planet Earth I guess. The awesome shot of the girl with her arms over her head is the first time Sis ever got up on a board. So glad she finally tried it. Now she's a surfer chick.
Some of the shelves in the kitchen. Writing books, tea, marble collection, a big letter "U" I bought at a junk shop and carried around all day going, "It's all about U today!" to my friends. Yes, I'm pretty obnoxious I mean hilarious.
The other half of the desk! Part of my favorite poem by EE Cummings stuck in the lid of the cigar box. The never-say-die-orchid that took almost two years to bloom again from my aunt Kathy. The friendship paperweight made by my brilliant artist pal and partner in weirdness Linda. Assorted cool rocks and shells and bits of glass. The Mary poking from behind the scissors pot is actually "St. Bitch The Fierce". I've decided if I have a patron saint-- she's it. Oh, and my fat kitty sculpture. And on the lion tray- coins from me and Dan's honeymoon.
My house almost always looks like burglars just tossed the joint. I hate cleaning, but I love my house and living here. There's just so much other fun to be had. All my real friends are just down with it. (Got to be) The first time they come over I say, "Sorry it's such a pit in here, but-- it always is." People have to judge me on other stuff and decide about me. I'm def NOT Suzy Homemaker.EDIT TO ADD;
I guess yesterday was "4/20"-- So happy "4-20" pot smokers. The last time I indulged, back in the stone-age (haha), it went something like this as I recall;
smoke smoke smoke
something random and dumb happened
laugh laugh laugh
laugh laugh laugh
laugh laugh laugh
"Oh my god I'm so wasted."
"Me too man."
"Ok, I'm done now. Make it go away."
"Um, dude--"
"Oh yeah. Crap."
boring foggy boring
foggy BORING foggy
super hungry
whole night wasted
Yeah. Don't miss it.
10 comments:
OH MY GOSH I LOVE YOUR HOUSE
MY SHELVES LOOK JUST LIKE THAT ONLY LIKE, NOT SO PRETTY!
I just have a constant cluttery mess and it's not nearly as artistic as it should be or as I'd like it to be. My standard is basically, "Keep anything you'll trip on off the floor" and "Make sure it doesn't smell bad in the house."
I can't get it together worth anything. I'd like to be clean. I try.
But neat? I don'tknow... it might not be in me. And I might not want it that way. I want to have a basic idea where stuff is, BUT it's so important to me to live in a home that's comfy for us and makes us happy. It has to scream my name when I walk in.
Your place screams all kinds of good stuff!
Also I love elephants and glass jars!
Also- guess who else didn't get to ride the new bike today?
Booooo!
Not happy as soon as the rain stops he'll be at it.
I think our ideas about our houses are very similar and in keeping with our whole "same tribe" thing. My place always looks like a tornado hit it, but there's an underlying organization because I need that. It might look like chaos, but all the closets and drawers etc are clean so when I do clean it's just putting stuff away and hosing the place down.
(If only...)
We should have houses with drains in the middle of the floor. I'm thinking of doing that with my truck.
I like how you've arranged things. Gave me some ideas of how to display some of the agates I've found (jars) and what to do with the cigar boxes I've collected.
Heidi--
I've always liked that drain idea too.
Mary--
Where ever you wind up now, make it your own. Surround yourself with things you love, that have meaning for you. Make a nest. Write stuff on the walls. Be unbound by convention. Fly.
you cleaned very nicely...very nice. I love people to see my place when I've cleaned too...and gosh....it's been a while now.
But hey, you gave me a great idea!
I smell a future blog post.
The 4-20...
Classic.
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!
Lynn--
Yeah, the funny part is i spent a couple of hours cleaning and only those few square feet actually look like anything happened. The rest is still a giant pit!
JKB--
You know it baby. (shpshhhhh) (sound of someone taking a huge hit)
Post a Comment