Thursday, March 12, 2009

Eye Candy

OK, It took me all morning to cut apart and re do yesterday's mess, but this is more like it. The clothes throw me. I get how bodies are constructed but when you start putting a bunch of clothes on them and it's all just in my head with nothing to look at I get messed up-- not that I go around picturing people naked all the time or anything-- much.

In my head and in the story Jezebel wears 1850's high buck hooker gear, bastardized with native american influences she picked up living with the Fox tribe. I can't make layers of lace and gauzy stuff etc out of steel. She also wears a gun and has a huge hole blown through her chest but, y'know, probably a bit of a stretch for the art crowd. So this is Jez, and not. I'm taking her more woodland spirit. So what IS she wearing-- what's she made of?

To me she's made of her environment-- the forest and the river. I'm going to cover her whole outfit with leaves and water.

This steel is so gorgeous. It's one of my very favorite parts of my job, but i can only do it on the summer now because I have to lay the steel out and get paint all over, plus, I use a hose to mist the paint. I do layers of paint and rust-- white vinegar usually for that, more paint, mist, vinegar, paint. I use metallic paints and the rusting oxidizes whatever they use for the sparkle in the paint. I love how it looks. I always hate to cut it up, but it will make awesome river water.

Here's some leaves. After seeing how that birch commission came out I really like stems on the leaves. It makes them look more lacy.

As far as writery stuff, was up super late last night and it's going to be another late one tonight. I'll probably see where I am about midnight and if there's no hope of finishing I'll -- reschedule my submission date (I just typed "give up" about four times and deleted it-- crap, I HATE missing deadlines). It's not like this was even an actual deadline. I'm the one who said "I'll probably have it for you in a couple weeks", but I feel like now I look unreliable. I guess as long as it's effing kick ass awesome when I turn it in. That's what's important.

OK, this doesn't count as "work", so, better get at it. Stay cool.

EDIT TO ADD;
Eff, Eff, Eff. It's 11:30 and I can tell by what I've got left it is not going to happen tonight-- plus, I'm so tired I've entered the suck zone. When you start throwing shit, using tons of profanity, and not just for fun, and/or stop being picky-- time for a break. Bed yo. In the morning I have an early ski date, then may pwn this effer (the manuscript) just so I can at least feed it to willing betas on my deadline day. Stay tuned-- I know-- this is totally riveting!!!! (meh)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - on all accounts...

Unknown said...

Thanks Betsy--
There are advantages to being "the man" I wurk fo, but gettin' paid by the hour aint one of 'em. ;)

JKB said...

Keep it up. You can do it.