Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Butter Face

Hey peeps. Blew another glove today.


Here's the fix. Creepily I'm the Ed Gein of gloves.

My drawings aren't always very good, but they give me the idea. It's not so much that I'm trying to make the sculpture look like the sketch, as it is a way of helping me work it out in my head. It's kind of like my inability to talk tech-- I know what I mean, I just can't tell you.

So anyway, this is a character from my novel. She's a ghost, and probably looks weird to everyone but me, but I think she's pretty rockin' (in my head at least). Picture a good looking black woman wearing a headdress with a bunch of weird trinkets hanging from it, and antlers sticking out of the top, wearing war paint and a bandit mask. Yes, my head is a scary amazing place at times. What can I say? In my head she's way hotter than this lame drawing, but, like I said, it just helps me work it out.
When I do people I now start with the face. I can do bodies no problem-- my main flaw being a tendency to make everyone vaguely super-heroic, at least the naked ones. But with people they really need a good face. It doesn't matter how cool you make the body- positioning, idea, whatever-- if when you're all done it has butter face. (nice-- but-her-face...)

I doubt I could make a face look like an actual person at this stage of the game, like "do a sculpture of my sister" etc, but I can usually make the people in my head. So far so good. For women you basically want symmetry, high cheekbones, big eyes but not Disney big, then other stuff like ethnicity comes into play.

This was a whole 8 hour day-- no lunch (and those who know me know how crabby I am by now) but I did get her face all done today. I got eyes on her too, just didn't shoot it (no pic).

OK, second shift begins now. The manuscript is a scary, scary mess. I have highlighting all over the place and have cut out 6 chapters-- about 12,000 words, and am busily rewriting the remaining 73,000 words. It should weigh in at around 75 - 80 when I'm done.

When I hit the wall I'm going to hit hard, and it better be after my show! -- Oh, thought I was done. This is basically me being weird. I wanted to see if I had the scale about right and if where I was planning on putting the eyes would work. I'm actually this blurry today. Not a camera thing. : ) Ok-- writey time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incredibly cool, lady. I love the face!

Unknown said...

Sunna--
Thanks! Hopefully she'll live up to the "in my head" version.