Monday, March 2, 2009

Bring It.

Hey people. After hearing from AgentCoolAssChicka last week I went into proof-reading-like-a-mofo mode. It’s all I did between approx 7:30 p.m. Thurs. and 7:00 p.m. Fri. besides sleep a little. After sending my 85k word baby out into to world attached to emails saying variously, “I don’t expect you to get through this in 2 weeks, but I’ll take whatever feedback you can offer in that time frame” and “try not to make me suicidal” I promptly fell into a Girl Scout Cookie coma.

An online writery type pal (you know who you are O Evil One) posted a link about Samoas Fri and I became obsessed. They had to be obtained, and, in my fragile state, had to be consumed—all at once. I know, my AssFat almost laughed itself off. Can you say running like a mofo this week?


Now AgentCoolAssChicka is twitting about her 575 unread queries, and her 175 files of unread material and I once again feel like a needle in a haystack I haven’t even jumped into yet. Insecurity—it’s a bitch yo.

While I was finishing my little horse today I was thinking about how slim my chances at publication are, and how much time I was taking on such a small, probably not very expensive sculpture. A smart friend was observing the other day how this economy will weed out weaker businesses. Publishing people are talking all the time now about how no one’s buying anything, and people are getting laid off left and right. Art sales are down too.

I was more determined than ever to make the little horse as awesome as I could, no matter how long it took-- and I will keep ramming my head into the publication brick wall until either I get through, or my head is reduced to some kind of gross meat knob that will completely rule out future book jacket photos.

If you’re a creative pro, now isn’t the time to quit striving for extraordinary. Maybe only really special things will make it through the marketplace’s filter right now. Does that mean some crap won’t also get through, or, sadly, even some extraordinary things will be overlooked? No—But I for one am bringing my creative A-game.

If I wind-up never having anything else to show for it, I’ll be able to hold me head up knowing I didn’t quit, and I didn’t lame-out.

Have a good day people. Now-- caffeine, shaking it vigorously, welding a bit, running like a mofo, and more welding. Then, maybe skiing. But caffeine immediately-- stat! (blinks blearily)

15 comments:

JKB said...

ZOMG.

I LOVE THIS HORSE.

I LOVE IT...like madly, deeply. How gorgeous!

Susan Adrian said...

Bwahahahaha!!! I accept all blame.

And I WANT horse. How much is horse?

Unknown said...

JKB--
Thanks bb. coming from you, means a lot. You know from horses. ;)

Susan--
Yeah, I wasn't going to name names, but you are a little evil. That's not so much a deal breaker as a prerequisite around here, so, you're good. Little horse will probably go for around $250. (I'm kind of embarrassed to say that because it sounds obscene-- I could never spend that on something incidental, but it did take like 4 days to make.) (HATE pricing stuff)

Anonymous said...

OMG! Sue, that horse is so much more beautiful that I imagined it to be. Fan-freakin-tastic! $259 is so not enough but in this economy... ugh, pricing does really suck. I just love this horse. Once again you've out done yourself. Brava!

Anonymous said...

First of all, perhaps CoolChica agent (or whatever) means the "unread" queries - yours is READ, considered even...e-mailed about your where-abouts and what's up about that there manuscript. I'd say she's not even counting you as a query...she wants to hear back so she can finalize her decision. My guess...and the horse...OMG!!!!!!!!!! It is mounds of SO Fantastic...I can hardly speak (can you tell?)

Heidi the Hick said...

Sue. I am SO SO SO glad that I remembered to come by here today. Oh my gosh, your speech about bring the creative A game (is that how you put it???) is absolutely right. This whole meltdown, slowdown, whatever it's being called... it's like a big test. How bad do we want it? Only the best get through.

I can't stop doing what I'm doing, not now. I keep telling my man that music (movies, art, stories) continued during two World wars and the Great Depression. We still need to be entertained and inspired, even more so in tough times!

Thanks for the reminder. You are full of truth, Oh Writery Metal One!

And if I could I'd roar over there and plunk down a wad of cash and take that horse sculpture home. Reminds me so much of my King of the Pasture, with his Arabian neck and his flirty tail...

Unknown said...

b_elliott--
Thanks amiga. I know- pricing = suck.

Lynn--
I know I'm no longer a query, but still, I'm assuming the 175 unread files are also requested material. You're odds are never good. (makes fists of keeping the hope alive).
Thanks!

Heidi Hick--
Right as always. People always have told stories and always will. Maybe since it is so hard right now more people will give up? I don't want to wish anyone ill will, but you're spot on with the "how much do we want it". Some days I feel like being stubborn is my only face card.

Linda Thiltgen said...

The horse is BEAUTIFUL. No one does horses (or animals for that matter) better. Fabulous. Can't wait to see it in person.

I love this post, too. Makes me think of two quotes.

The beautiful is as useful as the useful and maybe more so." from Les Miserable

"To discover the extraordinary, step away from the ordinary".

Thanks for the post and for helping to kick my butt. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

The horse has surely taken an amazing form!

With multiple buyers, I believe an auction is in order. :)

I'll slide the first one out if it's game-on...

Anyone else? What say you Sue?

Unknown said...

Linda--
Thanks for the great quotes, and the nice words. Love "step away from the ordinary"-- works on so many levels for me. ;)

Rich--
Thanks bud! I'm sure I can hook you up (if you're serious). :D

Jethro said...

You know, I was thinking about just this very thing the other day. Some of the moves I've made in the last few years when seen through a business filter must look absolutely stupid, but I must say that I am slowly seeing the results of my 'never compromise' credo.

When you continue to hold the bar really high, people may not notice it right away, but over time, it becomes apparent that your work stands out. With so many people and corporations throwing absolute crap on the market, it just makes your stuff look even better.

Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Hi Jethro--
Feel like i know you :).
You're right. I think there are things you do strictly to make money, like maybe invent the pet rock or velcro wallets or something, but if your actual identity is tied-up in what you do you're better off staying true to your vision come hell or high water.
Then if you succeed you'll have accomplished it on your own terms. That's a far cry form selling-out.
YOU keep at it too!

Anonymous said...

The horse is absolutely beautiful! You should be so proud you of how it turned out! I like what you say about going for extraordinary. You definitely have done so.

Anonymous said...

Sue-

I'm full-on serious! If you'll have multiple pieces to view, I'm all over it. You can email me the details. :)

I'm in.

Unknown said...

Hi Mary--
i think it's something (the whole extraordinary thing) we can carry over into other areas of our lives too. It's kind of, "make a statement" you know? Who do you want to be?

Rich--
On it dude. Awesome.