(More on them later.)
This is my other office, besides the comfy chair and thesaurus, dictionary and note encrusted ottoman in my living room-- and of course the lawn chair. This is temporary or so I've been told for the last year and a half. Really, by the end of September I may actually have my own shop with walls and a ceiling and everything. What's that again?-- "Nice heron?" "Oh, thanks." You can pick one of these guys up at the show for around $200 (or a pair, hate to split them up you know). A "steal" wouldn't you agree? -- haha.
As for the jewelry -- jewelry central -- aka my dining table is all fired up and in full production mode. This time around I'm doing earrings too, but don't worry, I'll still have plenty of necklaces. (both just $20!) By the way, I'm totally getting that coat. Is it rock-star or what?
Ok. I'm even making myself sick now, but it's hard to psych up at the beginning. The writing has been totally calling my name for the last year. When I do visual art, it mostly happens as I'm doing it. There may be some planning, especially with commissions, but for the most part I just do it.The writing is far more obsessive. Of course when I'm actually writing-- putting words on the screen-- it's happening, but it's going on continually, almost every waking moment too. The characters and story are always rattling around in my head, talking to me when I'm running, biking, watching t.v... Often Dan will ask me something, about a show or whatever, and I'll have to say, "I have no idea." I've just been sitting there staring blankly ahead while other things have been unfolding in my mind. It's hard to switch that off and get into welding mode, but that's what has to happen right now.
It usually gets easier the more I work. Ideas (visual) come as I'm working with the tools and equipment, and I begin to be soothed by the meditative work, grinding, hammering slag, cutting, welding. I'm not sure I can totally go cold turkey on the writery stuff though. There may have to be some moonlighting.


4 comments:
Do it all!!
I know what you mean. It's hard to have a brain divided up and distracted by all those creative things but I don't know any other way.
And darnit you are the cutest welder I've ever seen! And believe me I've seen lots.
When do we get to see your torches? Haha, how many girls ask that eh?
Enjoyed this post, along with the photos!
Weld away! Jamie
Thanks Heidi & Jamie ;)
More welding pics to come I'm sure.
OOOh, you know how much I Luuuuvvv earings. Very nice. And the welder too!
Post a Comment