
This is something I've always wanted and now that I finally have one it's bringing up a little almost forgotten history from back in the paleolithic era. I had just turned eighteen and moved out into the big wide world much to my parent's horror. I really kind of pulled the rug out from under them and just packed up my stuff and left. I wasn't afraid of anything except feeling caged up. Suddenly the world seemed full of open doors. The paint on the road was only paint, not a boundary. Rules I'd always taken for granted seemed superfluous. I was fearless. This was America. I wouldn't starve. That was the summer I hung around a lot with a guy who would have scared the crap out of me only a few years before.
He had long scraggy blond hair, a prominent adam's apple, and a brooding, edgy, bad boy nature that sucked me right in. He was on the fringe of our little group, kind of an outcast, a little too intense for my other friends. We listened to music, spouted philosophy, flouted convention and told all our big secrets. We spent many nights driving around talking until almost dawn. He had a fringe jacket he let me wear all the time. His eyes would drill into me almost every time I looked at him.
We were just friends. I had a boyfriend that I wasn't that into, and the Dan switch hadn't quite been flipped yet. Thinking back I realize this poor guy was probably pretty into me, but back then I didn't get that-- that guys who want to be super big friends with you are usually back burnering you, biding their time. It didn't pan out for him. Last time I saw him he'd just gotten into a fight with one of the other guys. After letting the little crowd that gathered know what he thought of them all -- not much-- he took off for parts unknown, saying he was going to go look for Neil Young, just wanted to shake his hand.
In honor of Greg go ahead and listen to "Out of the Blue" in the player. It's the fav lyrics line pic this week for "It's better to burn out than to fade away."

I have a horrid cleaning day ahead of me though, and am not really there mood-wise, so if you're feeling twitchy and frenetic like me, you can check out Nirvana's "Breed." It's just unfiltered excess energy blasting away.
0 comments:
Post a Comment