What it feels like when I'm having lots of energy and get pulled off a project-- (like being forced to make a bajillion earings and necklaces and dozens of attractive little groupings of trees etc for my show instead of working on my story)-- is like a firehose hooked up top a water wiggle. Frustrating and all over the place. Things like running, and hard biking help, because I can just let it gush out of me and it feels gratifying. Then when i'm done and some of the steam is vented off I can more easily focus. Try it sometime if you're feeling all nerved up, it helps.
Ok, so in light of all that oversharing I'm sure this---
looks pretty crazy. (You can click pic for bigger weirdness.) No i haven't lost it. These are some depictions of some of the ghosts from my novel. They're called "The Watchers." What do you think? Creepy? Disturbing? Kind of cool?Other things that went on Wed-- behold my pretend drumset. The cookie sheet is my kick. It kind of sucks I have to say. Craig's has sets for around $300- $500, but I've only had two lessons. I don't think Dan will quite go for it. He was awesome when I broke the drum lesson news to him though-- no eye rolling, no saying, "where's this supposed to lead?" or shouting "LOOOOOSEEEEE!" He just kind of nodded and said, "Well, I go on fishing trips and stuff. I guess we're pretty even." He knows there are some things I just need to do to keep the wheels from falling off. He says he likes my risk taking, because it's the opposite of him. (See why Dan Auerbach never had a chance?) (Still love you though Mr. Auerbach... as a friend.)
The other activity was making what I've been told is the best beef stew ever. I've never actually tasted it, being mostly a vegetarian, but Dan likes it and takes it to his annual "cabin weekend" with his pals. They used to call it "hunting", and reportedly there was a bit of strolling around carrying shotguns, but no one ever shot anything (yay). Then they went with "fishing trip" for a while, but again, not really any fish. In actuality all that happens is a lot of poker playing and beer drinking, and, now that they're all middle aged, a lot of being hung-over and lamenting about how they just can't party like they used to. Anyway, Dan likes it, the guys like it, it's one small thing I can do to make him happy-- so I make sure it happens. Ahh love.Today is thurs and I just returned from drum lesson # 2 where we actually worked on "boom che boom boom che" the whole time, trying to count measures and land on a cymbal crash. God I'm hopeless, not really, I can keep the beat at least, but it definitely uses my brain a different way than I'm used to, and it is really fun, even if I'm dorkily nervous around Tyler.
Tomorrow I attend my first meeting with the loft novel writers. I'm nervous, but have prepared my feedback. I hope it's a good fit. If you want to check out my training wheels tempo for drum practice check out "My doorbell" in the player by Jack flippin' White and The White Stripes.
4 comments:
Gahhhhh!!!!!
My kids and I played that song at their year end recital a couple years ago!!!!!!
It was hilarious. All 3 of us had a different tempo, I think. Bucky played drums and the Girl played keys and I did the singing and tambourine shaking. I even wore my White Stripes shirt.
Jethro can only take them in small doses because of Meg's, shall I say, Creative Drumming. He spends all day with a click track so he can't deal with anything being out of time. He gets dizzy and stuff. But he was nice enough to be proud of our little performance.
Dude, all the other parents were clapping along.
pffffft! It was fun!
Oh- energy fluctuations - they're a pain.
I got a dog so I'd be forced to get out and walk every day. Okay I also got him because I looove him but it helps.
Exertion is one of the few things that calms an anxiety attack. I just had to learn to deal iwth it.
I'd have loved to see "the jam". awesomeness.
I love the stripes, the simplicity and jack-- come on. meg kind of gives me hope in a weird way. i think she knew she wasn't very good, but was along for the ride and they have so many awesome songs. it's kind of a punk mentality i think-- it's more about the groove, and punch, that the technical skill in her case. maybe there's hope for me yet!
as for the energy-- i like it. keeps in interesting. not sure who i'd be otherwise. ;)
'Than" the technical skill..
sorry, proof reading-schmoof reading
Post a Comment