Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Out Of The Box

So last night I had girl's night out with my friend and a new friend who is really cosmic. I made a bonfire outside my nearly completed shop and we talked until midnight. Then when I came inside after they left could I just go to sleep like a normal tired person -- no. No I could not. I had to stay up another two hours reading and rehashing all the cosmicness. Now I'm sitting here still trying to wake up but mostly staring blankly off into space wishing I had the where-with-all to go get some caffeine. Enough is enough. Be right back.

Ok. A little better now.

So among the things my new cosmic friend shared with me was that I should be trying lots of new things right now to shake things up. I already had a few things in mind but now feel even more encouraged to go for it. I think if you don't force yourself out of your box you can begin turning into an "old person" at almost any age. I'm not ready for that yet. Actually I hope to be still finding new things to try out well into my eighties or nineties.

I really have been into the idea of drum lessons lately. I think I'll go for it. The worst that can happen is that I'll try it, be hopelessly bad at it or not think it's as fun as I thought it would be, and possibly be laughed at by some employees of the local music store. Or--- it could be super fun (like it looks) and I could discover I have some weird, savant-ish, undiscovered drumming mojo and become so good my beloved Foo's would call and ask me if I'd consider hanging out with them, you know, just playing ping pong and maybe sitting in on a few songs.

Another Idea I have is mountain biking. This involves some risk. Both trusty Pam and I have taken spectacular spills running the course lately. Mine I'm calling a rolling sider, or corndog, because I tripped and sailed shoulder first into the dirt and proceeded to tumble and roll downhill becoming coated in a layer of tasty cornbread -- er-- no, actually dirt. Pam more or less launched herself shoulder first into a log. While it stopped her from tumbling downhill, it was pretty painful.

When we run we always encounter mountain bikers who mostly seem really cool and almost superhumanly brave. There are these two guys we always see who we call our pretend boyfriends behind their backs. To their face we call them "the cool guys." I peg them as either graphics or music guys, or possibly one of those engineer hybrids who are sort of geeky-cool. Every time we run by them they each make a point of saying hi, which in guy world is making a concerted effort of some kind. One will say, "oh you guys -- hey," and the other will smile and say, "hi." Then one of us will go, "Hey, it's the cool guys!" Yes, it's pretty intense. We're practically engaged. One of them has glued horns to his helmet that both me and Pam are jealous of.

To be honest, the possibility of a blinged-out mountain biking helmet is probably about 40% of the allure for me. Right now I ride with a regular helmet with magnetic poetry glued on saying stuff like, "ride like a girl." (You know, in other words -- awesomely.) I also have an orange bandanna tied to my camelback that sometimes flares out behind me like Underdog's cape. My bike has a giant, old-school bike bell on it and a handlebar hula girl who squeaks when you squeeze her. I used to have a little Wonder Woman figure glued on top of my back light who would shake her fist at all the people left in the wake of my blistering speed, but she broke off.

For the mountain bike helmet I'm considering a black "eight ball" helmet from Nutcase. Yes, it even says that on the front. I like that guy's horns but don't want to be a copier, so am thinking of orange, pink and red accented flames, maybe in rhinestones. Kind of Evil Kenevel right? Then of course there's learning how to actually ride the trail, but hey, once the outfit is squared away I'm sure the rest will fall into place.

Lastly I think I'm going to bite the bullet and find a writing group. Probably somehow affiliated with The Loft. This is a scary one for me -- exposing my writing to the criticism of strangers, especially other possibly frustrated writers, but could be helpful. You know, "growth." (ugh.)

So what would be some things that you guys would consider trying, to shake things up, take you out of your box? It's your life -- don't chicken out!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mercy . . . and Wicked Way. I canceled my lesson and went to AVON. Sometimes a short road trip is all I need. Not that far out of the box, but its enough for now.

Unknown said...

Sometimes just playing a little hookey is enough, for now....

Heidi the Hick said...

Yes, join a writers group!!! Find some like minded people, not even who write what you write, and start sharing. Keep the comments specific and constructive, and help each other along.

I find it to be very helpful. I'm a freak though -- I'm part of three different groups. (Don't be like me!)

Unknown said...

I don't know Heidi, you seem pretty cool, maybe I SHOULD be like you...
Someone else suggested starting one if there's not one close by and interviewing people to be in it. Another suggested having them be like raves and changing the location all the time. Anyway, it'll happen in some form.
I already hooked up with a drum instructor! (not in the naughty way)

b_elliott said...

I'm seriously thinking of going back to school for a Masters. Means a lot of undergrad prerec's that my BFA didn't cover. School with undergraduates. Eeek! How's that for out of the box? For me it is, never thought it would happen.

Unknown said...

B--
That's pretty big. Brave too.

katie said...

Go for it! I've found that I regret not having done things more than things I've done. That's 100% of the time for things I've thought out. The worst is just that you stop doing it 'cause you discover it's not your thing, and move on.

Me, I guess my big daring thing would be decorating my house. Harder, 'cause you can't just walk away if you hate it (as like, with trying surfing - highly recommended!)

Unknown said...

Yeah, decorating can be like trying a new haircut-- if you really hate it you still have to wait for it to grow out,-- (with decorating both to justify the cost and to figure out what it is you don't like so next time you can do better.)