Thursday, September 25, 2008

Attention Rock Scaredy Cats...

I think I can almost guarantee you'll like this week's Fri Fav Lyrics pick. It's a guy I just discovered on the current (single handedly saving music radio -- and they stream, you wild Canadians). He's Conor Oberst, (coming to first ave in oct...) and when I heard him compared to Dylan (as in Bob) I rolled my eyes and went-- "right." Then when I heard him-- I was blown away. I haven't been this excited lyrically for a long time. I can't wait to hear more. This is the kind of songwriting that makes us all better writers just like taking a dip in the poetry pool can. I'm just going to print out the whole awesome "Cape Canaveral" here for your enjoyment, and do take a listen in the player. This isn't my usual fare-- it's mellow and beautiful. Remember to support the artists you enjoy by buying their music.

Oh, oh, oh brother totem pole
I saw your legends lined up
And I never felt more natural
Apart, I just came apart

Please, please, please sister Socrates
You always answer with a question
Show some kindness to a petty thief
Forgive, you did forgive

Watch the migrants smoke in the old orange grove
And the red rocket blaze over Cape Canaveral
You’ve been a father to me
In 1960’s speak
In the comatose joy that we’re on TV
While the mountain’s side was shining
Wild colors of my destiny

I watched your face age backwards
Changing shape in my memory
You told me victory’s sweet
Even deep in the cheap seats

Hey, hey, hey mother interstate
Can you deliver me from evil
Make me honest make me wedding cake
Atone, I will atone

Wait, wait, wait mighty outer-space
All that flying saucer terror
Made me lazy drinking lemonade
A waste, it just went to waste

Like the Freon cold out the hotel door
Or the white rocket fade over Cape Canaveral
You’ve been a daughter to me
Your buried shoe-box grief
I felt your poltergeist love like savannah heat
While the waterfall was pouring
Crazy symbols of my destiny

I watched your face die backwards
Little baby in my memory
You told me victory's sweet
Even deep in the cheap seats

And you don’t judge me
That’s not your style
But I won’t see you for a little while
And there’s no worries
Whose got time
All these changes are going to fill your mind

Like the citrus glow off the old orange grove
Or the red rocket blaze over Cape Canaveral
It’s been a nightmare to me
Some 1980’s grief
Gives me parachute dreams
Like old war movies
While the universe was drawn
Perfect circles form infinity

I watched the stars get smaller
Tiny diamonds in my memory
I know that victory is sweet
Even deep in the cheap seats

3 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Wow. Pure poetry!

I gave him a listen a few years ago and I didn't really get the music, but I remember being stunned by the lyrics. It happens that way sometimes.

Thanks for reminding to support artists with our purchases. (It keeps food on the Hick family table too, so thanks!)

Heidi Willis said...

Lyric Fridays is such a cool idea! It's like poetry, only usually much cooler!

This one is awesome, and a little trippy! It must be one heck of a long song!

Unknown said...

Heidi hick- I'm not sure I totally "get it" either, but I like it. Sometimes I just like the imagery and mental gymnastics this kind of stuff makes me do.

Thanks for stopping by Heidi. It is but doesn't feel it. Take a listen when you have a few minutes to relax. It pulls you into it.