Thursday, September 18, 2008

Big Thursday

Check it people--- my "out of the box" list?-- Mission freakin' accomplished, plus one, in pretty much one day. Oh my God am I stoked right now!

First of all exhibit A-- Behold Tyler, my new drum instructor. "Um, Can I keep him mom?-- I promise to feed and walk him every day!" Seriously, he's not just cute, a musician (aka cat nip), and youthfully spunky (it's so endearing, the enthusiasm, the optimism, the sparkliness), but he's very nice, patient, seems to know what he's doing(?), and the artwork adorning his practice room indicates he is apparently loved by the towns folk's kiddies. Me likey so far. Ever since my first lesson today a steady, insistent "Boom, che, boom boom che" has been running through my head. Jamtastic!
Exhibit B-- Trusty Pam and I actually rode the mountain bike course today-- not the whole thing, but the beginner loop and a section of the intermediate. As you can see Pam acted as my stunt double once again. She took this dirt half pipe the trail snakes through in an "S" full blast and executed an impressive sliding sider. Usually when we run this thing I stick my arms out as if flying. It's a huge dip. Pam likes speed. A lot. This gets her into trouble. If only I had some kind of camera crew following her. Truly pamtacular. Last winter she wiped out on her bike and wound up making an inadvertent snow angel that missed being a dog poo angel by about an inch and a half. Luckily she seems to be made of some impervious space age material.

Exhibit C-- Ok, This wasn't on my list-- this is the plus one. These shoes...................(suspense building, building)......WILL TOTALLY BE GOING TO WEEZER OCT 4TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've expressed my Weezer-love before, but for the uninitiated; I love the "scampering" quality of their rock, and the unabashedly boyish dorkiness, both accomplished with kerrangtastic guitars.

Floor tickets people-- that's right, right in the middle of the flailing, jumping around, rocking action. My husband's nephew and his girlfriend and I are going together. They're about 23 or 4, so they're my "cover". I'd never have the guts to go alone. When I was young I was too poor to go to concerts. Then I got, you know, old-----er. Now I'm thinking, "what the hell?" I still feel all rowdy, I love music, and now that I'm cloaked in my layer of awesome fortyness, I can interact with all the rocking out people without risk of, you know, complications. Nobody there will be looking at me, or mistaking my totally jamming out for being secretly in love with them or whatever. I am going to totally unleash the rocking-out at this thing... be afraid, be very afraid-- or be enthused, if you're afraid just keep it to yourself harshmallow.

--Ahem,...Ahh, if anyone has any Weezer connections that may get me backstage--- coolage.

Lastly, Exhibit D-- OK, I said I wanted to find a writer's group, hopefully affiliated with The Loft-- one has magically appeared. Some folks who've already gone through the advanced novel writing program wanted one more member for their group and have invited me to attend a meeting. This is certainly a "Let's see if it's a good fit" thing I'm sure. But two people who's work is being discussed sent me their pages today and I meet them next week. I'm excited and nervous, but mostly excited. It feels like a lot of stuff is suddenly falling into place. I'm diggin it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow . . . you are stepping it up, outside of your box. I think I am glad I live far enough down river that I can't hear your drum practice. :)

I am going outside of my box today too building those culinary muscles by making cupcake/muffins, I haven't tried that in years! Wish me luck.

katie said...

Wow from me, too. First of all, nice pet. Also, think of drummer chicks' arms and how awesome they are!!!!
ps that's really nice of you to chaperone your nephew-in-law at the concert (tee-hee). xoxoya
pps your welder pic was super cute!

Unknown said...

jamie--
cupcakes -- Mmmmmmm
You definitely have my support.

Katie--
Yes, the drumming, the concert, can you tell I've been having the "fire hose of energy" thing this week? Having fun with it though. ;)