Sunday, November 2, 2008

Weenie-Fest

Ok, have to say, a bit disappointed with the turn out, but here goes (and thanks to everyone who did send pix!)
Lynn looked fabulous this year as Grace Kelly. Black and white photography really is flattering...
And this is her bird K.C. stylin' with his pumpkin...

Behold Heidi (as in Hick Chick Heidi-- her blog is fabu) as "Capn' Jack Sparrah' "

Seriously, she was such a hot Johnny last year she gave the neighborhood moms a disturbing case of gender confusion. Super funny gal.
OK, lack of contestants has forced me to delve into the "archives" for material, and of course my scanner is down, so you get the old school version. You can click for bigger bad blurriness, or blurry badness, as the case may be. Exhibit A-- Here we have the Sue and sis montage. Technically these aren't Halloween pics, but, as you can see, we love us some costumes.
Not sure what was up with the hats.
The next one is actually just "us" in the eighties thinking we were super cool and super hot. Has anyone ever been so horribly mistaken in the history of photography?
The wedding dress bonanza was just some weird idea we had of fun, and we weren't even wasted--- and lastly--
Our amazing impromptu water ballet performance of 2001.

I'll call this the "misspent youth" montage. Pretty self-explanatory-- I'm the more modest of the "we're so hot aren't we? kitties" , and the beer drinking clown, I was pretty proud of my cat make-up... and prom actually felt like some kind of bizarre forced costume party since i was totally NOT into it at all, but my mom and boyfriend (at the time) ganged up on me and made me go. He wasn't actually a cabbie, but "in costume" and this is my favorite picture of him. I actually like this picture a lot more than I ever really liked him.
This costume infatuation began early as you can see. There were the ill-conceived tap lessons-- I was hopelessly uncoordinated and really not into it. My parents apparently dressed me as some kind of ecstatic elf at one point. In ninth or tenth grade I was a "sad clown"-- translation-- "least hot most androgynous girl at the party". I remember really liking this costume because those overalls were my dad's that i found in the garage and co opted. I kept thinking some guy would notice me and appreciate how non slutty I was-- not just another leotard clad cat or rabbit or whatever. Saaaaaaad Clown. Oh-- for you Canadians-- proof I was once "one of you" -- my Canadian Brownie get-up.

This year I was actually just "overworked me"-- so I can't chastise you all too too much for not participating. One friend actually sent me this great pic of her as Chef Boyardee, and her husband as the Gorton's Fisherman, but I accidentally deleted it and she's working the next two days. (Sorry Jamie!)

I suppose it's no surprise someone like me who's always liked costumes now enjoys creating characters (writing, novels, etc). These are the grow-up equivalent of imaginary friends I guess. Sometimes there's an interesting crossover between the visual art and the writing. Someone showed up in the old driveway yesterday. You can check her out over on the art blog if you want.

4 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Aw, I was hoping more crazies would show up to the party!

but it was fun!

My sister and I were always dressing up too. And look at me now, with my imaginary friends!

This year I was in my wranglers and chaps to answer the door for approximately half an hour... then I thought, "Hey man, I wear this to work four days a week. I'm getting into my comfies."

GAh! What's happening to me!

At least nobody's mother tried to pick me up...

Unknown said...

Hey Heidi-
Guess what?! -- You win!
Yeah, sorry, I thought more people would be into it too. I guess it's just we imaginary friend people.

So glad the moms stayed away from you this year (ewe). haha.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, this was a fun post to go through. That Jack Sparrow costume is amazing! And loved the Sue Costume Retrospect! :D

Unknown said...

Courtney-- I know right?!
I have to admit even I was a bit turned on by Heidi-- well, not Heidi exactly-- Jack!

You writery types need to check out Courtney's blog. Look under my bloglist. She's coolio.