Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Weird-Ass Wed

Hey-- sometimes when a theme presents itself you just have to go with it. So welcome to another Disturbia post starring everyone's favorite-- creepy dolls!

Ok-- who thought this was a good idea? And, more to the point, do you think they knew what they were doing? Disturbia masterpiece or misguided attempt at adorableness?

This is a submission from buddy Linda (actually a lot of these are-- thanks Linda!). I love the scale and framing of the shot-- it infuses it with so much more dread and despair than if it were just centered nicely. Great job! "Someone save her!"

This is so wrong on so many levels. For those of you not familiar with the humiliating past of Minnesota politics-- this is Jesse Ventura-- yes, former pro wrestler, current horrid facial hair wearing idiotic nutball, and former GOVENATOR (as he called himself) of our state. God help us. Again-- kudos to Linda for posing him in the fanciful super white wicker chair. Way to emasculate.


Ok, I took these, way back when Linda and I attended the MN State Fair last summer (again-- insert shimmery dissolve indicating time travel here)

This booth was a Disturbia treasure-trove. I was particularly horrified by some extraordinarily corpse-like "dolls"-- I guess. WTF people? Who would find this in any way appealing?

Then I saw some infotainment show explaining it all. They're called "reborns" and apparently there is a whole subculture of demented women who "adopt" these things and tote them around pretending they're their very own real, live baby-- that will never ever grow up and leave them. Have you ever heard of anything so sad and creepy? Remember the log lady from Twin Peaks? (Yes-- I'm that old, but am so immature you'd never guess.)

This one is actually kind of cute. it's like it's saying-- "Yes, hello-- I'm totally NOT real, and hello-- neither are any of the rest of these creepy things-- wacko."

Yeah, again with the sad-badness. The booth was also brimming with angels.


Don't get me wrong-- I know some people just collect dolls because they admire the craftsmanship of whatever, but the whole, taking it to the park and swinging it on a swing with all the real live children was just a bit over the top for me. Plus-- sorry, most dolls freak me out.

In other Sue-news-- The writing yesterday went unexpectedly well. Ok, actually, not a lot of NEW writing happened, because I had to go back through what I have and reacquaint myself, but i was pleasantly surprised.

First of all I thought i was 25 to 30 k into #2, but am actually 40k in, and have notes etc, bread crumbs to follow to get me the rest of the way through the first draft. Then I will have TONS of tweaking to do, and already have a bunch of notes about that, but first-- get it all down right writery types?

Not only that, but #3 is busy assembling its bones as I run and drive around. God I love these characters, and all the ghosts, and the town. Can I move in with them do you think?

For those of you missing the jamming-out posts, I can tell you the $20 I spent over at Brad Sucks was the best investment I've made in recent memory. Rock "Bad Attraction" in the player and go download you some Brad Sucks music over at his site. I'll be bugging you more about him. He deserves to break big. Let's take him viral folks. Spread the linkage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love to find the disturbing and the odd while we are out and about!! It's always better when we discover them together! I must clear up that I actually FOUND Jesse the Guv-a-nator sitting quietly in that wicker chair. I did not create this disturbing and unsettling sight...I just came upon it...that's what's disturbing. :/!

Unknown said...

Linda--
Oh-- my bad! Although whoever posed him like that either is a disturbia genius or completely clueless. Want to guess which?

I prefer to think they knew this picture would cause real-life Jesse's head to explode.