OK-- Can I just say "Flomax" and "Boniva"?-- Two of the funniest drug names ever.
Setting aside the seriousness of the conditions that would require you to take them, can you imagine being in those meetings? What were the other suggestions? "How about 'Pee-hoz-omine'?"
I love those names because they are so descriptive they sound like something the SNL writers would have come up with. (Annual anyone?)
In my books there are a lot of musicians, so one thing I get to do is make up band names. I LOVE band names. The best ones are the most random. Here are some from The Current's playlist yesterday (yes-- they're cool, and yes-- they stream, and no -- not one commercial)
One Day As A Lion
Badly Drawn Boy
School Of Seven Bells
Trampled By Turtles
The Broken West
Supergrass
Drive By Truckers
These are only a few-- I was trying to pick bands I've never mentioned and you may not have heard of yet. Of course my favorite recently discovered band name is just one guy really but-- Brad Sucks. That name is pure genius. At the very least it makes you curious. Go on-- push play rock scardey cats, I dare you! Actually, I challenge you to not go there on the "yeah-yeah's" -- tres impossible! (spoken in pretend french). Oh yeah, you'll be shaking it and you'll be likin' it.
Some of you may remember I changed the name of Book 1 from "Dirt Nap" to "The Crimson Cord" because I began to feel Dirt Nap may have sold it short on some level. I still think it's kind of grabbing though. Crimson Cord has ties-ins with the narrative and feels more meaningful and, who knows on this one-- but I read books that start with "The" are more popular. ???? (I know, pretty lame.) I also went through this whole thing a while back where I almost changed the name of this here blog, but decided to keep it. Screw all the pervy slang implications. Slag Hammer is mine Urban Dictionary-- mine I say! (insert trademark menacing finger twist here)
So here are a few of the names I've come up with for the pretend bands in my books. Feel free to toss yours on the comments pile, but be warned-- they may get stolen! Tell me your favorite-- and any other thoughts-- novel name change good idea? Bad?
Plot House
Big Eye
Pilfer
Footy
Punch Drunk
Klooj
Retzin
Apex
Gravity Check
Quirty
Yard Sale
Ditch Mission
Spook Tank
Fubar
Trike
Red House
Grind Lab
Roughy
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ooh I love them all!
My pretend band (in the book I'm working on now) is Yorick. There are about three or twenty real bands out there in the world with that name though, so I might have to change it. Don't want any renaissance faire minstrels getting all mad at me.
Band names are a constant source of amusement for me!
OOO good one!
As in "I knew him well."
The image of you getting chased down the street by a bunch of guys in tights makes me smile.
Luckily you'd be able to ride off on your trusty steed.
Oh I DO like these!
I always wanted to be in a band named Ponytail.
Geddit? But I'd never be able todo it. :( It's too mainstream.
le sigh.
I love ponytail!--
Ever see Goldfrapp when they were into that who ponytails on their butts thing? Yeah, looked like some kind of sort of cool, but slutty horses...
Sorry-- lolcatz attack
"wearing" not "who"
(wtf sue?)
Post a Comment