Hey people—Welcome, once again, to Fav Lyrics Friday.
Even you rock scardey’s will probably be into this week’s pic. It’s pretty darn mellow.
Check out “Grapevine Fires” by Death Cab For Cutie.
When I fist heard OF Death Cab, I thought—“cool name”. Then when I heard them play, I was like, “Cool drums, singer—blech.” But he’s won me over.
See, I have this thing about tenors. When guys take it high vocally, I actually prefer it if the wheels kind of fall off. I love when Jack White’s voice just shatters all to hell and before you know it he’s just kind of yelping or screaming. Some guys can pull off the soaring thing (Jimmy Eat World), but I’ve got to be sold on the lyrics, that they’re coming from inside somewhere. (Hello?-- Cold Play—not sold).
If a guy’s going to take it up into the upper registers I want to feel that he’s giving it up—That it’s about the song and not his voice. Otherwise, if he holds his note it just comes off as some lame ego display, and if he can’t quite-- balloon-y, running out of air badness.
Anyway, when I heard Neil Young hand picked this band to open for him on tour I went, “??????—Neil Young you say?”
That made me think of Greg—Remember Greg?
And Neil knows from song writing. I had to take a harder listen.
This song is beautiful, and I guess I’m sold on the guy’s writing. They don’t rock as hard as I usually like to, but good is good so there you go. Enjoy, and remember to support the artists you enjoy by buying t heir music—from them when possible.
Grapevine Fires
By Death Cab For Cutie
When the wind picked up, the fire spread
And the grapevine seemed left for dead
And the northern sky looked like the end of days
The end of days
And a wake-up call to a rented room
Sounded like an alarm of impending doom
To warn us it's only a matter of time
Before we all burn
Before we all burn
Before we all burn
Before we all burn
Bought some wine and some paper cups
Near your daughter's school when we picked her up
And drove to a cemetery on a hill, on a hill
We watched the plumes paint the sky gray
She laughed and danced through the field of graves
And there I knew it would be all right
That everything would be all right
Would be all right
Would be all right
Would be all right
Would be all right
And the news reports
On the radio said it was getting worse
As the ocean air fanned the flames
But I couldn't think
Of anywhere I would've rather been
To watch it all burn away
Burn away
Burn
Burn
Burn
Burn
Burn
Burn
And the firemen worked in double shifts
With prayers for rain on their lips
And they knew it was only a matter of time
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Death Cab for Cutie-Grapevine Fires (Live From Seattle)
Labels:
fri lyrics pick,
jamming out
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment