Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-Changes...

Play David Bowie's Awesome "Changes" in the player and get all old school rebel-y.

This is the pixie-ish face that has greeted me from the box of my most recent hair color incarnation for the last few years. The color even had a great, evocative name-- "French Roast". Many a time Trusty Pam has endured impressions of this hair model -- me looking slightly poutily over my shoulder at her, blinking doe-like, and, in my best pretend-french accent, exclaiming, "Ooo-- French Roast!"

Now she's been replaced by this, this interloper! The color name has been changed too, to "Deep Bronzed Brown". Why don't they just call it "Blahsville"? I'm not sure what this girl is saying, but I'm sure it's in some disgusting, whispery, baby voice. Ish. Booo Revlon. Booooooo! You have incurred my wrath!

I remember when I was seventeen thinking it was hilarious brown hair color even existed. If you were going to go out and intentionally color your hair, go to all the trouble, why, oh why, would you pick brown-- the most boring color on the planet? I had a lot to learn.

For one thing, when you've already had about every color there is, and your last "do" was a little number you and your stylist named the "Atomic Fireball", (short, spiky, three colors of red with some blond and just a couple of pink sections-- awesomeness!), brown sort of becomes the new pink mohawk.

You take it back, this original hair color, as close to the one you were born with as possible, just to "rest", while you contemplate your next hair incarnation. Then it takes on a hint of irony, like pigtails on a goth chick. Before you know it, all those other super wild ghosts of hairdo's past just begin to feel like costumes you no longer need. Now I'm into the brown, even if I still rock it out a little with black tips or the occasional streak of pink or two.

Ok-- enough hair-age.
In other Sue news--- I still have some art deadlines to meet and some art revenue to generate to keep things rolling along here, but my novels have been poking my brain. My characters have been taking meetings with me while I'm out on runs or driving around. I read a great interview this week over on the "Tell It" blog (see bloglist) and that author suggested, among other things, writing short chapters so you can more easily move things around. Genius!

I have lots to move around and I think book 2 is actually books 2 & 3, both partially underway. Can't wait to get back to writing! Only a couple more days.

The financial crunch has me making hard choices. Not as hard as many folks. Not "Hmmm, food or medicine?" But I was really into this super fierce coat---

And also had my eye on these badass Frye harness boots, and / or tall dress boots, but I have my current drum set to consider. It is, let's just say, slightly less than awesome.

Now everything I look at I'm like, "Hmm, this-- or drums?" -- and drums usually wins. There's also a new idea surfacing. One of my coolest characters-- Elmira -- who you may remember from my driveway, plays electric blues/ rock guitar, and that sounds pretty awesome too. I think I'd really like to learn how to work a distortion pedal someday too...

Well, sorry to report, the drudgery is not yet completed. More cleaning today-- and some cooking-- I promised Dan. Later cool people. Remember to shake it at some point today.

0 comments: