I picked the song because of it's weird, unlikely lyrics. It exemplifies beautifully how valuable it is to wade around in the lyrics/poetry pool every once in a while. The bizarre word combinations and imagery are so unlike anything I would come up with on my own. Somehow this kind of stuff pries open the door to that room in my head-- you know the one writery and art types.
The video is awesome because of it's DIY cool factor. FBO is on my blog list too now, and they're looking for band members music heads. Check it out.
I love when people go all indie on stuff, especially when they use old school, "any one could have done this" (but they didn't-- did they?) mediums. On that note, I've linked this a couple of times in the past but check out Miranda July's DIY book promo. (Be sure to click pink arrows in bottom right corner.) Genius. I can't wait to work on stuff like this WHEN my novel gets picked up.
In other Sue-news-- Thanksgiving went well yesterday. We got to meet the newest family member, my cousin's one month old baby- Jacob. Super cute! (and most babies really aren't, let's face it.) We had about an hour drive each way so I got to play one of my favorite car-ride games with Dan. I wait for him to drift up next to another car, then I turn towards the window and, after making certain no one in the other car is looking (unbeknownst to Dan-- who needs to think the opposite, that some big dangerous guy IS looking), begin gesticulating and yelling, "My husband is going to kick your ASS!" Especially funny to do at tough motorcycle guys. Yes, Dan's life is one, big, long, fun-fest. (He actually thinks it's kind of funny now, and sometimes plays along-- threatening to tear the other drivers arm off and beat them with it etc, all in a super deep macho voice-- hilariousness.)
Today was mostly spent (already talking as if it's over-- a lost cause) avoiding cleaning. I deliberated for a long time about whether to chop a lot of the back of my hair off (ARTAD persists) but decided not to, wandered room to room jamming-out, practiced my rocking stage jump off bottom 3 steps into entryway, designed logo for Monroe's (novel character) new band, then went shopping and running with Trusty Pam. Was going to driveway weld since it is all of 40 degrees today, but there is no more outside water and dried leaves all over, so not very safe. Oh well, guess I'll have to write. (secret- yay!)
Alright-- check out these lyrics. Remember to play the home version you really need to listen as you read. It's in the top of the player. Email subscribers-- I love you guys but you are missing out if you never visit the real live blog and check out the player and all the labels and links and pics. Shake it this weekend people-- it's good for you.
"Strange Victory- Strange Defeat"
by The Silver Jews
by The Silver Jews
Squirrels imported from Connecticut
Just in time for fall
How much fun is a lot more fun?
Not much fun at all
What's with all the handsome grandsons
In these rock band magazines?
And what have they done with the fat ones?
The bald and the goatee'd?
Strange victory!
Strange victory!
Strange victory!
Strange defeat
A tale is told of a band of squirrels
Who lived in defiance of defeat
They woke up in the nightmare world
Of craven mediocrity
They said, "We're coming out of the black patch!
We're coming out of the pocket!
We're calling into question
Such virtue gone to seed!"
Just in time for fall
How much fun is a lot more fun?
Not much fun at all
What's with all the handsome grandsons
In these rock band magazines?
And what have they done with the fat ones?
The bald and the goatee'd?
Strange victory!
Strange victory!
Strange victory!
Strange defeat
A tale is told of a band of squirrels
Who lived in defiance of defeat
They woke up in the nightmare world
Of craven mediocrity
They said, "We're coming out of the black patch!
We're coming out of the pocket!
We're calling into question
Such virtue gone to seed!"
0 comments:
Post a Comment