Was talking structure again with my brilliant writer buddy Kris -- about resisting the urge to edit my new story until I get through my "outline". I use quotes because it isn't a strict, formal outline, more of a rough list of basic scenes, (and something in me still resists anything resembling restriction or directive, but anyway...)I was talking about how once I get the bones of it down I can't wait to go back in and finesse. She asked me when I do a sculpture how I go about that -- rough it out first, or just build as i go?
I had to think for a second. I always start with the general idea of course. Then it kind of already exists, just not in physical form yet. After that it's the feet. (It has to stand on something.) Then yeah, I do kind of rough it in structurally. Once I get the basic shape down, I go back through and shore it up -- beef it up at any weak points and fill it out visually.
I said, "It has to support its own weight," and a light bulb went off, or on I should say.
It's the same with a story. There's really no point in fussing with it too much until you know what you have -- what works and what needs to go, what needs to move around. The most lyrical, genius writing in the world can't save a story that collapses. It needs to support its own weight. The writing itself is in service of the story, otherwise I guess you're writing poetry.
Have a safe, fun holiday weekend. Be sure to jam out a little, even just in the shower if need be. Remember, it's good for you to shake it a little. It needs to be shaken once in a while people. Catch my beloved Foo's on the SNL rerun if you're home being moldy. See ya next week.
2 comments:
That is an incredible photo. I loved seeing the sculpture in person at Hudson. It was lovely! Great blog. We all need to remember the basic to get our work done. Thanks for the reminder. Happy creating! Good seeing you today. Cheers
Linda T
Yes, Yes, Yes!
Post a Comment