Update from kid central;
Had "lady day" with sister, niece, and mom. This consisted of wearing dresses and going out to a fancy lunch. When the backseat conversation became too focused on butts and farts (a major topic for niece at this point) we were scolded for not being ladyish enough. We gave each other conspiratorial sneers and giggled behind our hands. (Yes, I know. She's six and I'm in my forties. May neither of us ever be completely tamed. Vive la revolution!)
Expanded niece's vocab to include "orifice."
Both niece and nephew are prone to busting out into loud, spontaneous gospel sing-a-longs. They both attend private school where they are taught such things. Most I'm sure find this adorable and completely benign. It gives me conflicting cases of the heebie jeebies and the giggles. There is some kind of weird comedy to it, absurdity I guess. It's kind of embarrassing in the middle of Target. I feel the need to reassure complete strangers we aren't actually part of some weird cult. The creepiness factor comes from the realization they could be singing the Nazi rouser for all they know. They're just parroting back whatever is pumped into their little heads at this point.
I was thrilled then, when we had a giant rock out session this morning together. I've been sending them music to check out, and apparently it's a huge hit (even more so than all the Bible songs!) We pogo'd and whooped, massively jammed out air drumming and guitaring while niece pointed at me and sang along with the White Stripes, a mischievous grin on her six year old face, "and if i catch you coming back my way I'm gonna serve it to you. That ain't what you want to hear but that's what I'll do..." The nephew checked himself out in the mirror while belting out (and pointing at himself dramatically), "'cause I look nothing like the kids in the video!"
This warmed my little rock n roll heart immeasurably. Do check out both "Seven Nation Army" and "Five on the Five" in the player. Come on, Don't be a chicken. Get your rock on.
Fire nipples
2 days ago
2 comments:
Don't make fun of my rolling singing revival cart! Not quite as embarrassing as hearing my 3 and 6 yr olds singing Hollerback Girl in Target. Thanks for the coolness training, aunt sue, and for the interesting vocabulary words. xokatie
FYI "anonymous" (my sister) has now threatened to start her own blog called "Stupid Crap My Sister Does".
Post a Comment