Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Hang Factor

I haven't quite got my rock on this morning yet, (could be lack of caffeine thus far...) but "The Current" (singlehandedly saving music radio) played this last Sunday and it's mellow, but amazing. Check out Leonard Cohen's "Tower of Song" in the player.

One of the things I really envy about musicians is the collaborative nature of their art form. They're practically forced to hang out with cool people in order to make a go of it. Not so with visual artists and writers. We still feel the pull though, and inevitably seek out members of our lost tribe.

When I was just starting out, one of the first people I showed my portfolio to had a nice gallery over in Door County WI (the Cape Cod of the Midwest). I was such a newb I failed to notice all the work in the place was his. I just saw a great venue, in an amazing location, with good art. Check, check, and check. He liked my work, but said he only showed his own stuff at his galleries. Turns out he owned three, all in amazing resort areas (he also had three nice homes). He was nice and talked to me a while though, and gave me some advice.

He said, "Be very careful who you align yourself with. The art world is full of people with creative talent, but no business sense, and no drive. If you throw in with them they'll just drag you down with them and none of you will ever make it. You'll spend all your time commiserating about how unfair the world is and what a disgrace it is that artists are forced to live in poverty."

"Jeeze," I thought, having only just discovered some of my lost tribe, all of whom were brilliant and funny and interesting, "What an ass!"

But he was right. Have all the funky, hopeless, loveable n'er do well friends you like. God bless them. Most of them are a ton of fun -- but for people you network with, like writing partners or groups -- make sure you find people as serious about it as you are, or you'll spend all your time trying to herd cats (encouraging them to get going, hand holding, etc).

4 comments:

b_elliott said...

Heard cats! Oh, you are so right. I find them to be soul sucking. Feel free to kick my azz if I ever do that, OK? :-)

Linda Thiltgen said...

love that steel drum in the Leonard Cohen song!

Anonymous said...

Wow good advise after all...and the Cohen song is fantastic! Have you ever heard "Suzanne"...his older work.

Unknown said...

I'm ashamed to admit I'm unfamiliar with his work (until now). That's why we still need radio (good radio, like the current) I guess -- to yank us out of our comfort zones and introduce us to things we wouldn't gravitate towards on our own. I'll have to check out "Suzanne."