Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Book Trailers -- What do you think?

So this is apparently a hot promotion idea right now, creating a video trailer, for a book. (Especially for Y/A (Young Adult Fiction). I kind of like it, but budget would be a definite issue.

What do you think? Good idea or too much a of mix of medias?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After seeing the trailer I realize that this was probably the kind of thing that was completely out of the author's hands. And...sometimes...but not always...young teen fiction is written by a "company", who might also be the same company who produced the trailer...and the "company" is given a name that looks a lot like a real person's name. They could even go so far as given the name a realistic persona, sort of like how some romance novels are churned out. One more way the corporate machine has sucked the guts out of art.
Ooooh, that was cheery...sorry :)

Unknown said...

Oooo, be careful. There are lot's of Y/A and romance writers out there who would beg to differ. Not that what you're saying isn't true. I have no idea. If it is true that's pretty creepy.
I just know there a lot of real live people writing those genres and agents rep'ing them.

Youtube has lots of these if you search "Book trailers". Some obviously homemade, others like this, "produced."

Anonymous said...

...but I did say..."not always", and it happens in other genres too...nothing new at all really. Kind of like Betty Crocker.
Anyway...I got away from the main question. I think you have to use all the tools you have to promote yourself because you are competeing on such a large scale.You apparently can't just sit at home and wait for your book to sell. Darn it.

Unknown said...

Too true.