Tuesday, July 29, 2008

New Ghost Pics, More Miranda July

A friend took these amazing pics of ghostly orbs at her place. Be sure to view the slideshow for close-up extras. She's even seen a human shaped vaporous haze walk past a doorway in her basement. At the time I was standing with my back to it and she elected to say nothing for fear (correctly) that'd I'd flee, possibly leaving a cartoonish person-shaped hole in her wall.

Back in June I posted about Miranda July. She created a really funny promo for her book here, and I'm finally getting around to reading it. "No One Belongs Here More Than You"
is fantastic.

Here are a couple of excerpts;

"This made her so angry she did the dishes. We never did this unless we were trying to be grand and self-destructive."

and

"I hated my job, but I liked that I could do it. I had once believed in a precious inner self, but now I didn't."

Somehow with a grouping of ordinary words she's able to take me somewhere I'd never find on my own, twist and twirl me a bit, disorient me with subversive familiarity. I like-y.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like-y too. In fact I think Miranda July is one of those writers that nearly makes me want to beat myself for the very thought that I could ever be a writer. She's that good.
I read her book of short stories mostly on the bus...great bus reading, but look out for standing passengers reading over your shoulder. Miranda is not afraid of words. -Lynn

Unknown said...

I think that's one of the reasons I like her so much. she's willing to "go there", kind of like Joyce Carroll Oates. It reassures me because my writing really has an edge. It's nice to see there's room for that.