Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Back in the saddle

Ok, yesterday I did clean approximately one third of my house. At one point it devolved into a bizarre, masochistic swimsuit try-on session, but I did make some progress.

Today I vowed to begin the day writing for an hour or two, then clean. What can I say? Here I sit six and a half hours and 2400+ words later and my house is still (I like to think) charmingly disarrayed. It needed to happen though. I've had to abandon the writing for about three weeks as I've been welding away and I needed to get back in. My characters have been hanging around the set chain-smoking and checking their watches for far too long.

I wish, for the life of me, I could remember which author gave this advice. I heard them on one of those podcasts in literary links, but they said to try to resist the urge to revise what you wrote the day before and just force yourself to plow ahead. Going back and tweaking can kill the forward momentum. A lot of times that first draft freshness gets trampled too. Let the story bubble out, then go back through and edit. I've been following that and I think it's good advice.

My story is full of ghosts and rock and roll and today the Black Keys "Set you free" worked its way into my last paragraph. Check it out in the playlist near the bottom. I love those guys.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am enjoying this, glad you decided to start a blog. I too have put off the cleaning and with good results, the "faces" have begun to emerge as what I hope is a series . . . the first being titled Three sisters.

b_elliott said...

"...devolved into a bizarre, masochistic swimsuit try-on session..."

***snort*** that cracked me up.