Friday, June 6, 2008

Public appearances / New links

So -- tonight is my opening. I joke that after delivering the work to the gallery my only job between then and "show time" is intensive moisturizing. I'm only kind of joking. i am usually exhausted and really do need the time to gear-up for an evening of being dressed up, on my feet, and "up". People are taking time to come out and see my artwork, possibly making an evening of it with dinner and a long drive. Some of them will be buying, some just looking, but it's important to me to let everyone who shows up know i appreciate it. Part of the experience for people who are into art is meeting the artist and possibly making some kind of personal connection. This is where the marketing becomes a package deal. You are a bit of a product too, and it behooves you to get comfortable with that. It works best when it isn't some fake contrivance. Most of us creative types are somewhat reclusive however, and personally i do need to "ramp up" a bit, so today will be spent drinking lots of water, listening to music, and yes, intensive moisturizing. (I treat these things like practice sessions for book signings, eternal optimist that I am...)

Blog update-- check out the new "literary links." The two podcasts are like extension classes in your self-directed MFA, and the agent sites are full of great tips on querying and the publishing business. Miss Snark, whose blog went dark last year to the everlasting sorrow of her legions of fans, is archived and a goldmine of advice and biting humor.

2 comments:

Kris Decker said...

Went to the show! She is phenomenal!! Truly gifted and an absolute visionary. I'm blown away by her talent.

Anonymous said...

How'd it go Sue? Hope someone took lots of photos, I can't wait to see!