Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Into the great wide open

Both the completed story I'm querying and the one I'm still writing deal with the paranormal. Some of the characters are more comfortable with this than others, reflecting my own feelings. I've had some pretty freaky experiences, and always been fascinated with that other world, but still have a very sceptical side. I'm very conflicted about this. On one hand I have to believe, and do, in that unseen world, but there's a stubborn resistance in me that compulsively analyzes any "cosmic" experiences I have, trying to rationalize them.

Lately I've been experimenting with my dreams, trying to gain insight. I've had many vivid dreams, some seemingly prescient, a couple very trippy out of body ones. The other night I went "in" with the intention of asking for guidance about my writing and had a dream that I was in a workshop with other writers and an agent and her assistant.

When it was my turn to "pitch", it flopped. Even as the words were leaving my mouth I knew it sucked. The agent and assistant took me back to their office and went over my material and gave me advice about how to tweak my query -- not change my story -- but bring some other elements of it forward that would make my pitch more appealing and reveal the true heart of the story. Cosmic intervention? My sceptic and true believer are still duking it out, but I'm revising my query.

0 comments: