Friday, January 16, 2009

Revision Woes- OR I Refuse To Break-Up With Dave!

Ok people-- This is a post about writery stuff, so if you are just a regular Joe-- Oh right, like any regular people even look at this-- never mind.

Anyway-- I'm now in revision mode. I have thought I finished this novel so many times. I can't even remember how many times I've smugly closed the file, sighed contentedly and thought- "Yeah, this thing effing kills now. It is perfect!" -- And of course later wonder what kind of drugs I was on because of course whatever my latest brain storm is is the total missing link, the thing that will really polish it and how could I have not seen it before?! After this last little tweak it will so rock. HA!

So that brings us to now. I had this agent interested enough to ask for more, and she had it forevaaaaaarrrrrrr. I know lead times are suckily long in this here biz, but even she admits she had it for a ridonkulously long time. I actually had one of these attacks of enlightenment while she had it and asked her if I could pull and revise it. She let me.

When she finally got back to me she liked it, but thought it would be better if the whole thing were changed to 1st person. Many parts of the book do work really well that way. I noticed my 3rd person narrator got pretty voicey and subjective whenever my MC was around anyway, so converting that stuff to 1st is pretty natural. BUT-- there are lots of chapters where my MC isn't even present-- that are totally nesessary to the plot. Also, my book only narrowly misses having two MC's. Dave is the second protag. I have the total hots for him and his storyline is completely entangled with Dianna's (my MC). I've been over and over his stuff, and if I change everything over to 1st I'll really lose more of him than I'm willing to give up.

For now I'm going ahead and changing the POV as much as I can, but I think I'm going to wind up with POV's switching at chapter breaks-- some will be Dinna's POV and some will have to be 3rd omniscient. I'll have to see how it all hangs together when I'm done. This is a major effing overhaul. It's making me love my MC more, which is pretty vital. If I can just make it flow organically maybe I'll love it more than ever when I'm done? I hope?

If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

7 comments:

Susan Adrian said...

Why don't you try MC's voice in 1st and other characters (two max, I'd say) in close 3rd rather than omniscient 3rd? That way you can have your boy and eat--uh, never mind on that one.

Unknown said...

Thanks Susan-- great suggestion. I guess originally I had my narrator peek from behind the curtain occasionally, almost as a very sub sub character, but that stuff is easily cut. 3rd close may be the way to go.

Heidi Willis said...

Gosh, I sooooooo understand this! Mine is in first person - which IMHO is very necessary. It wasn't an easy decision to make in the first place, cuz I had never written anything in first. But it needed to be that way.

And an agent who had my full told me if I rewrote it in third she might accept it, but not as a first POV.

I decided ultimately that to rewrite it would change the story entirely and make it a different book.

Before you'd overhaul it, I'd think about whether anyone else has said it needs to have a POV change, or just that one agent. And what do you think? And if you put all that work in, would you have a greater chance or securing an agent?

It's a hard one.

Unknown said...

Hi Heidi-- good question/point.
One problem I'm trying to remedy is that I haven't had much feedback at this point. I have a crit partner, but she hasn't even been through 1/2 the book yet. Now I'm finding some crit partners online, but so far have been going with my own gut.

I do believe the MC's 1st person chapters are vastly improved, and if I can pull off switching back and forth I think it'll be better. I'm keeping the old version intact too though, just in case.

Anonymous said...

This has got to be confusing at times...especially if you're finding you may have to lose bits of brilliant conversation. It's too bad there isn't a button we can push to switch between narrators and tences.
Until then, I think you know best, you are really good at this...but keep your original on a disk.
I wish I could see it on the page with the change. I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you...it seems so close. Don't lose hope.

Heidi the Hick said...

I agree that you should keep the original intact, just in case.

My other suggestion is: could you write it with two POVs? His and hers?

I know, total rule breaker. But I'm like that. Mine has FOUR 1st person POVs. Two boys, two girls, and each take a turn speaking with every chapter.

then again, not much action for me on this book. Like, out of 50 or so agents (out of 100+) who have actually responded to the damn query, only 4 wanted to see more. And 3 rejected. So maybe my advice isn't the best!

Good luck. I mean that. Sometimes, sadly, that's what it takes. If the book's as much kick ass fun as your blog it'll rock hard.

Unknown said...

Awe, thanks Heidi!
Don't get discouraged (stupid thing to say). i know how you feel EXACTLY. Lately with all the bad news out of publishing-- tons of editors getting laid off etc, I've been thinking I don't mind taking my time a little and getting this really right. not may not be the best time to be subbing to publishers anyway.

I like your idea. That would work for another one I have in the pipeline. For now the mix of 1st and 3rd seems to be doing the trick.