Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ladies & Gentlemen, Take My Advice...

Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice. --OK. You can leave your pants on, but anyone who hasn't gone sliding in a while, you are totally missing out dudes!

Here we have Trusty Pam, ready for action as always. Of course on her very first run she was busting out her fancy "no hands" moves. What a daredevil!

Me next! See those kids way to the left? They were awed by our sliding pwnation and after a while a couple came over to try trading sleds around and racing a little. Since they were like, 11, I kept the trash talk G rated (you're welcome, mom's of America). I'm pretty sure they thought we were "big kids" at first, but after our identity as some kind of weird hybridized adults was revealed, they didn't seem to care. Just so we were down with some slippin' slidin' action!

Remember being little and wanting someone to come pull you back up the hill? It still seems like a long way up, but I'd totally rather do this than a dumb stairmaster.


In other Sue news, Faceburner now appears to completely BLOW. I used to like going on and seeing, "huh-- someone in turkey found my blog by searching 'creepy dolls'...". Or even, "Gee, someone found my blog by searching 'woman eating doughnut', should I be worried?" It was always a kick to go on and see people were signing in from all over the world, how many from Canada, etc. Now they've converted to Google Feedburner and have decided to SUCK. You have incurred my wrath Feedburner. I'm totally breaking up with you.

Just get over me dude. Move on. Oh quit it! (I hate when they cry.)

Also- hello world, this is us--Americuh-- finally trying to pull our freeking heads out. It was so amazing to witness the inauguration speech live today. I've never experienced an emotion other than complete despair connected to a political event before. It feels good to be an Obamanation rather than just an abomination.

I've often looked at all the depressing blobs wandering glumly around Walmart, or read some idiotic conservative scree somewhere and thought, "Well, see there, people = mostly dumb, following, scared, tunnel vision, losers. We totally have the government we collectively deserve." Cheery huh? I've taken coolness where I could find it, in small helpings-- people who say "Hi" on the trails I run and bike on. People who let someone ahead of them in line. But it's been micro coolness.

Now I'm feeling hopeful on a macro level for the first time in a long time. Thanks Barack.

6 comments:

Kris Decker said...

I was completely mesmerized by the events today--blew off everything and watched all day. Then my mother called, all emotional, so THRILLED over Obama as our prez, and she says (yes MY 76 year old mother)--"Maybe someday we'll have a gay president too. Who are we to judge who can be with who?" I know.

Anonymous said...

We were glued to the TV all day as well. Just a great, emotional event. I took the day off just for this moment in time. I didn't want some news caster to "tell" me what happened after the fact. I wanted to see the whole thing myself.

JKB said...

I'm with you and everyody here. I loved watching, and it was great to share in such a UNIVERSAL experience.

I love me some Obama. I can also finally hold my head up over here as well...I was dragging it for awhile, earlier, with the B-word.

Not now!

Unknown said...

Tink--
Wow, that's pretty big. My dad actually voted for Obama too, and he still won't admit his Nixon vote was a mistake!

Lynn--
I was really glad I delayed work to see it too.

JKB--
I know what that's like. When you're an ex-pat you see things so differently. Even the "we're ready to lead again" made me cringe a tiny bit. But yeah, way less embarrassing now.

b_elliott said...

It was such an amazing day. I loved the whole "good" vibe that was pouring out of the crowd on the mall. Everyone was so happy it really gives me hope. Plus wasn't it great to see GW fly away to Texas for good!? Hee

Unknown said...

Beth--
YES!