Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day Job- Not To Be Confused With Working For The Man...

Hey people. Some of you already know being an un-agented (so far), unpublished (yet) novelist doesn't pay too well. Like many writers I also have a day job (no, not the crime fightin', gold pants wearin', super hero gig, that's volunteer work). My day job happens to be funner that most. (Yep, know that's not a real word, just don't care) I'm an artist. I weld metal artwork.

These here are my new digs. When we moved two years ago I gave up a huge 30 x 45 shop and have been working in our driveway, weather permitting. Yeah. I live in Minnesota, so that has made my job considerably more part time since the move. But now-- yay-- year round (paid) employment once again!

This is the view from the front door.

This is the view from the back door. As you can see it's not very big, but I'm actually glad I was forced to make due with no space for the last couple of years because it made me see I didn't really need as much space as I thought. I can get by in my new little 14 x 20 shop just fine.

It's actually an old garage my husband found on the free market. It was built in 1934, and lived in Minneapolis before he disassembled it and moved it here. He's spent the last two years rebuilding it and fixing it up on weekends and after work. We did it as we could afford to, saving up for the roof, floor etc. as we went. We found windows and doors at salvage places and on Craig's and the free market. Neither of us likes to be in debt. Weird this day in age I know.

Dan may not be into my writing, or really into art even, but I don't know many husbands who would be this supportive of their wife's creative spirit. He knows I needs ta do my thing, and he helps any way he can. I'll keep him I guess.

This is my little work station, my workbench, welder, belt sander, and giant chalkboard I use for sketching ideas and tracking shows etc.

Here is some cool steel waiting to get made into something. Pretty huh?

This is my view. Not bad huh? I live basically in paradise (try not to hate me). If you click on the pic you'll see a bluff up in the woods. That's main street of the small town I live in. you'd never know it, but I can easily walk right downtown. I live down on a wedge of land along a river. Hardly anyone even knows we're down here.


This is my adorable blue toolbox.


This is all my gear.


Here's some more-- my hammer collection and all my tests from welding and blacksmithing schools.


These are my favorites though-- my hefty blue hammer and what's that other one? Come on, you know this-- yep-- my slag hammer.


This old bakery rack has been converted into my treasure trove. Want to see inside?

Okay.




This is glass I collected from busted up cars at the junk yard. It looks like jewels or magic or something to me. The cord I soak in vinegar and use to make rust patterns on the steel.


I'm also really into rocks and sticks and stuff.


Hmm, what's in these?


Oh yeah, more treasure- burnt up copper sheets and driftwood.


What's this a close-up of? That's right-- slag. As you know I spend a lot of time and effort ridding the world of this. Thank God for good music so I can bang away to the beat at least.


I did begin a project, for someone who's been waiting far longer than they should have. You'll just have to check back in to see what it turns out to be.

My shop is 99% done. there is one important kink still being worked out with ventilation. My old shop didn't have anything in place so I used to just crack a window. This left me with something pretty close to black lung disease. Now I'm healthy, but need to stay that way. We're experimenting with various fans and duct work etc, and should have that resolved pretty fast.

Have a good day. Try to shake it at some point. Yesterday my iPod was really in sync with me-- Joan Jett, The Who, Queen, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Delta Spirit, Beck... Every song seemed to be perfect. Looking forward to getting out there again today. See ya.

14 comments:

JKB said...

It looks very cool! My dad used to weld but he made boring crap like paddocks and stuff. I like the artiste stuff far, far better. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finally moving into the shop. I look forward to coming over and enjoying some good tunes and a cup of tea with you soon!
LT

Heidi the Hick said...

1- supportive husbands are indescribably wonderful!

2- I think your shop is gorgeous- that corrugated steel and those doors! Even the window trim is pretty!

3- love it that you scavenged the building materials and the shop itself!

4- I grew up looking at welders, hammers, tanks, and steel in various states of rust. This all looks so familiar to me.

5- Yay! You're back in biznass! Makin' the cool art!

Gary Corby said...

This is just so cool. Thanks for showing us.

Can we see some of your pieces please?

Unknown said...

Totally awesome. Glad you can get back to work in a space you LOVE!

Kris Decker said...

AWESOME space kid! I have an idea for another business--potential for real money maker!! Clone your husband, and sell the clones. Put me down for one!

Unknown said...

JKB--
How could a paddock possibly be boring? - with a horse in it anyway! (I like the artsy stuff better too)

Linda-
Tea? You're blowing my totally rad image dude! (Just kidding-- YES! come over!)

Heidi hick--
1) --You are SO right!
2)-- wow- right AGAIN! (He stained it all w/ colored stain-- AND the ceiling)
3)-- I know, makes it cooler right?
4)--I never thought it would, not how i grew up AT aLL. But love it now.
5)-- Yep, watch my smoke (ok, hopefully not much of that actually)

Gary-- Hi Gary!-- thanks for stopping by! Yes, I will be posting pics. I have an art blog too that I haven't updated for ages, but the like is up on the right. "Looking for my art?"

Jamie-- Yeah, glad we're both "in our zones" right now.

Tink-- You don't have a side gig as a Wii trainer do you??

Emily Hainsworth said...

Your shop makes me want to become a metal artist! Wow! C'mon, you know you flashdance in legwarmers when no one's looking, don't you? Ahahahahah I bet that joke got old about 20 yrs ago.....ahem.

Sorry. But seriously, yay YOU! I wish I was closer so I could come hang and jam out even tho I have no rhythm and you'd prolly ask me to leave.

And btw, I think you should hammer your ms into steel book pages and then bring it to be critiqued. ;P

Unknown said...

Nom-Nom-Nom...
Sorry Emily--
I was busy eating a lobster with my bare hands in a tank top & tux cuffs for a minute there... What a feelin'!

you'd be allowed to stay. ever notice what with all the gold pants and halloween get ups etc there has yet to be and jamming out pix? Yeah...

Are you saying you might be ready to trade "chunks" soon? I could be.
;)

Anonymous said...

Way cool Sue! Glad to see SOME people get to do something fun during the day. (I'm trying not to be jealous) You have some impressive pieces in your art pages too.

Keep on keepin' on!

Heidi Willis said...

the more I read your blog, the cooler you get! This is awesome!

It reminds me of the gal on the movie Castaway - the one who is making beautiful artwork with a blowtorch?

And your sense of humor totally rocks.

If I were an agent I'd sign you just to get to email you everyday! :)

Unknown said...

Hey Rich!--
I know, I know how lucky I am. I'd way rather get to do what i want with my time than have cable. There are trade offs if that makes you feel any better.

Heidi--
My sister and I keep insisting dorkiness IS the new coolness, so if you buy into that I guess I'm cool. (haha) Thanks!
Get to work on that being an agent thing and sign me! I keep hoping my agent isn't currently enrolled in kindergarten! Keep at it right?

Anonymous said...

Wow...tell Dan he is the best ever! I find guys who can "do stuff" completely irresistible!!! He did a GREAT job.(does he have a slightly older brother?...who doesn't run too fast...LOL!)
Yep, I'm jealous, what a beautiful place to work.
Now...when is the opening Par-Tay?

Anonymous said...

Just for the record Sue doesn't SIP her tea...she SLAMS it.

(is that better??) hehe