Yeah, I now know it was "Forever In Blue Jeans", and you're welcome for the earworm.
Some of you writery types already know about diving into the poetry pool every once in a while for a little fresh-up. The ultra distilled imagery and phrasing can kind of smack you out of your little prose rut and get your mind limbered up again. Music can work the same way. Lyrics are basically the same thing, with a beat-- vivid, supercharged, sometimes perplexing (which is ok too, gets you thinking) imagery and evocative vocab. It's the language of pictures and emotion.
One that's been stuck in my head all weekend, (and sorry but I didn't catch any of the pertinent info. Please add to comments if you know of this.) (It was on the current -- singlehandedly saving music radio) was part of a song that goes,
"Behind every desire, is another one waiting, to be liberated, when the first one's sated..."
Brilliant huh? The song wasn't really my bag entirely, but that line is gold.
I've loved many of Jack White's lyrics(The White Stripes, The Raconteurs) well, his whole energetic, primal, rock your face off thing in general -- but his lyrics too. Lately I had a "Reverend Blue Jeans" moment concerning him though. I love "Broken Bricks", about the deterioration of Detroit, the demise of the big three, and a whole city's lowered expectations. One line I really liked was, "There's the little place where your daddy lined and your brother learned to hit the punch yeah yeah yeah..."
"Lined." I love it when normal words go all verb on you suddenly. "Hit the punch." I have no idea about assembly lines but it just sounds like some big steel stamping machine doesn't it? Sadly, these aren't the actual lyrics, although now I like mine better so in my head I'm keeping them. Sorry Jack, you still rock though.
I've told you guys about a number of bands I love here, and still think The Black Keys should steal my line, "Be my slaghammer momma, knock all the burnt up nasty crap off 'a me..."
What are some of your favorite lyrics?
Check out "Broken Bricks" in the player. I defy you to shake nothing-- you'll HAVE to.
Fire nipples
2 days ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment