Saturday, August 30, 2008

"Every Morning I Get A New Chance..."


Check out another Spoon number in the player, "The Two side Of Monsieur Valentine." Not very heavy, typically Spoon-y-- catchy, somewhat literary, innovative production. I tend to like my rock pretty pared down, just the basics-- guitars, drums, and punch, but spoon is one of the bands that opened my mind a bit about production value and what that can contribute to the music creatively.

Above is a pic of the last commission. I wound up cutting the bird design in so the piece could just rust naturally. Sometimes (usually) it's best not to fight it. The client loved it so mission accomplished. Not super into the art mode right now but I need to get there. Super backed-up. Starting Mon I'll have to force my own hand. Once I get out there and begin using the tools it tends to fall into place. I've just been so in love with writing lately it's hard to stop.

I love the first line of today's song (see post title). I'm practically done revising the novel. So much has changed through this process, even the way I see the story, in terms of what it is. Themes have emerged, which is one of the coolest things about writing-- when things reveal themselves organically. It really reminds me of working abstractly with art-- its the same feeling of something just flowing through you. Anyway, I'm really really excited about the changes I've made. It feels very connected now, and dare I say, more literary. I'm even considering a title change.

I'd been calling it "Down River" for nearly a year when some other guy's book came out with that title, then went with "Dirt Nap" thinking that was kind of shocking and edgy, but the novel has changed so much that title seems almost dismissive to me now. Yesterday I came up with "The Crimson Cord." I guess nine times out of ten the title gets changed by the publisher anyway, but I want to at least start out with a good one. Anyone have an opinion?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, beautiful work. Looks great in your yard too. So the bird wasn't on the original? It turned out really well!
-Lynn

Unknown said...

Thanks Lynn,
The bird was one of those happy accidents. The rusted image appeared because I'd sketched on the piece of steel for a previous piece and set it aside and not used it. My chalkline rusted. I didn't even notice it at first because it was faint. Anyway, it came out cool so I kept it as a part of this piece.