Sunday, August 3, 2008

Makin' It The Hard Way

Went to the Uptown Artfair Saturday. It had been about 5 years since I'd last gone, and it didn't take me long to remember why -- lot's of people, lot's and lot's. Whenever I am tempted to check out a music festival or something similar, I have to remind myself how much I adore being surrounded by fleshy, sweaty, people, many wearing shorts who should not be, and waiting in line to use disgusting porto potties.


I really can't talk about outfits. I took this opportunity to bust out my funky-ass sarong and one of my arty-er graphic T's. If you can't rock the hippy chick look at an artfair, where can you?


Anyway, Uptown was still uptown, the scene was still the scene, and there were still lot's of twenty somethings all over absolutely convinced they were the first ever to discover the coolage.

What I was really struck by, or reminded of though, was how hard professional artists really work. There was lot's of amazing work there (mixed in with some crap too). The amount of work these artists have to come up with for a show like this is mind boggling. Many of these guys (& gals) travel the artshow circuit all summer too, going to shows every couple weeks. Then there is the hauling, loading, unloading, set-up, take-down, and sitting there all day or all weekend long sweating their asses off making nice to the crowd.

I think people have a tendency to think of artists as somewhat shiftless types that have it easy. That is an unfair generalization in most cases.

This is the one artist's booth I shot before my camera battery died. It's Lee and Dan Ross's. Lee has been doing this show for 35 years. This year she took the spot her mother used to occupy, right outside the Uptown Theater. Her and Dan do these amazing sculptures, have just finished a new series in limestone, and will be at 50 on 5oth in Nov with me and 48 other artists. I feel very proud to get to mingle with the artists I show with, proud to be part of this tribe.

This isn't going to replace caffeine for you this morning but check out "The story of an artist" by Daniel Johnston in the player for a reflective, mellow, and typically quirky Daniel take on the subject.

0 comments: