What does being in full on revision mode have to do with "Stop Breaking Down"? This first version of the song was done in the mid thirties by Sonny Boy Williamson. Even if you don't share my love of rock, you'll probably appreciate this cool old blues tune.
In the seventies, Mick and the Stones set it to what I'd call a slow rolling gallop. Another transformation.
Then along comes Jack White who turns it into this shorter, more visceral for sure, higher octane version.
This is what I'm trying to do with my story, what everyone tries to do when they revise -- tighten, tighten,tighten , and go for as much impact and punch as possible. "But these are all different versions of the same song by three different bands..." you say. Yes, and I'm a different writer than when I began this project almost two years ago. I'm even a different writer than when I got it all back from iDisk eating it six months ago. Awesomeizing people.
Check out all three versions of "Stop Breaking Down" if for no other reason than to follow the evolution. The wierd flood of video posts, some semi-repetitive is due to what I'm calling "youtube-orreah". Tried to post these all in the past, they never showed up, thought they were history, then they all posted today. Go figure.
0 comments:
Post a Comment