I was pretty much a voyeur at this event. I don't really know any of these people (aside from Rich who seems to kind of run the place) although I pass some of them on my runs frequently enough to recognize them. They go by cool nick names like, Zilla, Flying squirrel, and Pirate.I like seeing them doing their thing over there. It's cool, and no one's ever seemed annoyed when they run into me. Ususally they're pretty friendly actually.
So "Pug fest" doesn't involve cute bug-eyed dogs. Pugs are bikes with giganto fat tires for biking in snow (and probably sand). See the difference?
I love finding other people who are outsidey thrill seekers. Basically, if you live where I live, either find some fun stuff to do all winter, be ok with hibernating,-- or please just shut-up about it. Hello-- It's Minnesota people. These guys (and a few chix-- go chix!) Really take having fun seriously and GO for it.
I'm too chicken (so far) to participate in stuff like this. Actually, I'm even kind of a puss about just getting in someone else's way, but I'm flirting with the idea of getting a mountain bike this summer. I've been saving for drums, but my drums might wind up turning into a bike, unless I sell a bunch of art and can do both. ("A-hem--universe?")
Look at them all lined up ready to be all daring. One reason I like seeing them is it makes me feel all thrilly too-- like maybe I could screw-up the courage someday. Heck. Sure I could! (See? Being daring-adjacent has given me this little infusion of bravery. Woo-Hoo!)
Look at these badasses! So cool! Doesn't it make you want to go out and try something new and adventurous?
Last thing like this I was at (by accident-- I didn't know there was a race, was just out running and suddenly "yikes" the woods was full of bikes!) I asked someone how they race when the trail is so skinny and perilous. I guess they have etiquette that dictates you let a faster racer pass you.
I was told, "If someone's gaining on you, they're obviously going faster. The only polite thing to do is move out of the way."
Another rider piped up, "Yeah, and if it's someone new who doesn't get how it works, or hasn't heard you come up on them, you just ask nice, 'Hey, at the top of the next hill do you mind if I pass you?"So not only are the riders daring and sort of swashbuckley with their cool names and stuff, but they're kind of gentlemanly daredevils too.
Is there anything you've been thinking about trying to get yourself "out of your box"? If you're not doing anything that occasionally scares the crap out of you, you're probably playing it a little safe. Hedge your bets against regret people. Don't be ninety wishing you would have tried more cool stuff out.
8 comments:
Sue,
It was great to see you and Dan at the race today. Nice job of capturing it with the camera, and thanks for exposing your faithful readers to this stuff! Hopefully you were able to partake in the free beer and Red Bull... sorry, but you have to bring your own Jager or Vodka for a mixer. :)
My Grandpa always told me, "Don't die wondering". That advice goes perfectly with your thoughts for today. Another of his favorites was, "If you're picky, you go without". Think about that one. It applies to everything.
(Methinks Sue needs a bike. We should start a "Sue-Needs-A-Bike" fund.)
Hi Rich,
Really impressive event! Too bad you were so busy running the show you couldn't race.
Love "don't die wondering"! (going to have to steal that one) The picky thing reminds me of "It 'aint getting what you want-- It's wanting what you got" (sheryl crow).
I have a feeling the bike will happen. (I still want drums too though.) Usually things work out. :)
Sue, find out if a Giant Iquana is too outdated or cheap or woosie. I worked doubles for a whole weekend 'cause it was the good company superbargain (yes, it was that long ago). After my hands going to sleep all the time, I realized I'm too tall for it, so maybe it would be ok for you. I know I'm only an inch taller than you, but I've got those gangly legs (and feet and hands- I know!).xokt
Your post reminds me of something I read in a book today. That people regret inaction more than action. That we prefer to think of ourselves as courageous, if foolish, rather than cowardly and also foolish. My terror is hooking up and driving my horse trailer by myself. I hope to overcome that fear this year.
Anon (sis)--
LMAO!--When I first read your comment I was like, "a giant iguana?--wtf?!" Then you go, "I know I'm an inch taller than you" and I was all, "Gasp! Stalker! For reals! EEK!"
Bwahahahaha. I'll run it by the expert and get back to you. (This is your old bike right?)
Mary--
I think you're right. I've made an ass out of myself plenty of times, but have more shame over the times I've chickened out, that only I know about. At least as a writer, all my "big ass" moments become material.
Just think how kick ass and competent you'll feel trailering your horse around. I used to see horse gals at the state forest trail (sand dunes) all the time loading in and out by themselves and thought-- "Go cool chix."
I also love the, "don't die wondering" philosophy.
Love the pics! What a great activity! I totally love how polite they all are too. We don't have too many of them around my parts!
Right now I've got a fire going, a bowl of soup, and my computer. I'm pretty much barricaded in my comfort zone. I'm going to have to think about that one...
Jamie--
What a great saying huh?
Heidi--
I was pleasantly surprised. Rad doesn't have to equal bad.
Comfort zone are there for when we need them. It's ok. :) Just keep your mind open.
Post a Comment