Click on the diagram below for bigger, better, sketch viewing.
The air conditions in my shop are way better than they were using the "crack a door and a window method". I no longer taste all the gross welding crap in the back of my throat all day, and, not to be too gross, but my Kleenex's are less black. But still.I thought with the giant furnace fan encased in my work bench, and my inflow vent right at my work area, and what with the little vent slot I cut into the top-- the SuckWOW would be practically sucking my helmet off-- but no. There seems to be very little suction going in, even though there is plenty of air blowing out of the building. And when I'm welding and cutting you can still see fumes billowing up to the ceiling. Less, fumes, but, fumes = bad.
Tomorrow I'm going to seal up any possible air leaks around the bench. There are some places where there are gaps or holes in the steel sheathing etc, and I'm going to redesign the top so the vent "hole" is raised right up to the level of the bench top. Currently it's about 6 inches below the catwalk grating I use for my top and there's open space all around the perimeter (it's sitting on spacers).
Sorry this is so boring and techy. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate advice.
In other Sue news-- Today was SO awesome! I hope everyone got to go play outside for a while. I had my best run in a super long time at the mountain bike trail. Last weekend when I was over there I was running around and my dumb tibia was hurting, so I was kind of gimping along trying not to be a baby, but also not break it any more and all of a sudden I felt this thing clamp down on my leg-- just as I was thinking about it too! Needless to say I almost poo'd my pants, because there was this big dog "pretending" to bite me. He was just running around loose!
He was only kidding around because he didn't really exert any pressure, and then kind of grinned and romped around. He had some people way down the hill from me (walkers), but kind of ran around with me for most of the way. (I was more fun. He confided in me.) It was funny because I usually run in my kitty hat, so it kind of was like a dog chasing a person, dressed as a cat... I felt a little cartoony.
Anyway, my leg started to feel better as I went along, (which happens a lot-- endorphins) but I started thinking, "what if this is some kind of magical dog of healing?" Who knows? ???
Today's run was totally perfect. Great weather, ultimate trail conditions, friendly riders, easy running, my iPod was playing only good songs (foos, weezer, stripes, brad sucks, spoon, joan jett, beck). Just great. Now tomorrow I hope they're wrong about us getting a bunch of sucky freezing rain. Wreckage. Boo.
If they are wrong I'm going back for another helping. ~running high~
Help if you can with the SuckWOW. Thanks.
7 comments:
It was a seriously GREAT day. I went to Wet Paint and walked around that whole area and drew, wrote...just wonderful.
Sorry that the SuckWOW is more suck than Wow (and not much at that)...it sounded like you really had something there. That sucks, wow. (snicker)
-Lynn
Lynn--
You're not allowed to speak of it in the past tense. ;)
Glad you had a fun day. Good for you!
Magical Dog of Healing! So cool.
The SuckWOW might need to have the fan positioned differently. I was thinking it might need to be at the end of the line not the beginning. What if you had a furnace filter inside the sealed box under the table with the fan on the outside of the building? How big is the fan? Is it the size of the duct running outside? If not that might be your problem. Your SuckWOW is sucking but the fan is either not large enough or not positioned right. Of course I could be totally wrong and be the SuckWOW myself.
I have a magical dog of healing so I can tell you it's all true!!!
I'll get Bucky working on your project. He is the genius nerd son of a farm grrrl after all...
Hi Beth--
When you guys come this weekend you'll have to check it out. The fan/motor is huge. It's better after sealing up air leaks, but still not as sucky as it seems like it should be.
Heidi Hick--
Go Bucky! How could I ask for a better nerd on the case? Also- Yay animals! :)
Hey Sue, I'm not an HVAC specialist, but I do know a few things about airflow... mostly airflow through high performance engines, but the fluid dynamics remain the same. It comes down to air speed and cross sectional area. The cross sectional area effects everything. It will need to be the appropriate area at the correct locations to get the air speed and results you want.
Having the fan closer to the exhaust outlet is a good idea. It will help generate a "cleaner" airflow at the intake area. All leaks need to addressed. If you add up the area of all the small leaks, it probably amounts to a big hole. Also, the transition from the size of the table (which I am assuming is all "sucking" surface) to the size of the duct work needs to be gradual. If you have a 12" hole directly under a four-foot-square table, you wont get much air speed at the table surface. You will want to have a large "funnel" under the work surface for a smooth transition.
Anyone sleeping yet?
I'd need some dimensions and photos or a personal look at it to help much more. Email if you want some more advice.
Rich--
Holy crap dude! Where exactly does your expertise and all around pwnation end?
(scurries off to email)
Post a Comment