Saturday, February 21, 2009

Snow-- Yay!

What happened? I tell you what-- my powers people. I have been squinting up my face all week transmitting my snow vibes, and-- voila! The ice at the trail has been really pissing me off. When it's really hard and smooth, even with the yak tracks on (these stainless steel coils on the bottom of your shoes that give you more traction) I feel like a dog with too long toenails-- scooting around corners. Maybe now some bikes will go pack all this down and by tomorrow it'll be perfecto again. (transmitting perfect trail vibes now) (>.<) Isn't this sign cool? It's the same sign in my story that marks the entrance of the secret hideaway, forgotten, bootlegger resort/ hippy enclave where most of it takes place. It's even called "Hubbard's Sunshine Resort".

This is cool too huh? It's out in the woods by the river. Supposedly some guy was going to log out some trees a long time ago and his truck just died there. Another freaky thing about my story-- I was talking to my cool artist neighbors (who've lived here forever and who we share the big woods with) and I told them my story's setting was a place like where we live, but lots bigger, and the site of a big old resort. They looked at me all weird and were like, "You know this was a resort at one time right?" No. Way.

They showed me some old foundations out in the woods where there had once been cabins, and there's old bottles and junk all over down here and up along the bluff. That's not even the freakiest thing.

The day after I read my crit partner a scene where a major character dies, there was a news story about a guy found in some river up in new england. They weren't sure how long he'd been in the river (he was just bones wearing a coat by now), and he had on a backpack full of rocks, with just one photo inside. This is almost exactly, exactly the deal with my guy. She said she got the big time chills when that happened. Sometimes I wonder if that guy's name was Dave too.

Cosmicness abounds.

In other sue News-- apparently my musical idols have banded together to try to crush my dreams this week. First Dan's album, while "good", wasn't the head exploding rock-fest I'd been looking forward to, then last night--- the White effing Stripes reunited for Conan's last show. When they announced it I literally squealed and grabbed Dan's arm with my talons of excitement. I'd been pestering him for another back rub, using my usual argument -- "Hey, a lot of people would pay good money to rub my back buddy" (this only works once in a while) and when they announced The White Stripes it was a total surprise and I went wild.

After spazing out about Jack White for about ten minutes I jokingly said, "Ok Stripes, don't embarrass me." (Because Dan isn't that into my music and was all -- "Who?") Then Meg stands there in this hideous-beyond-belief Mama Cass get up, playing her little red guitar like it was her first lesson. They did one of their mellowest songs ever-- badly, no drums (um-- hello-- did anyone tell you guys you're The White effing Stripes?) and Jack kind of croaked unenthusiastically looking like he'd rather be getting a colonoscopy. Thanks guys-- for making me quit wishing you'd get back together. Go Racs.

As far as my own actual life-- writing-wise I have about 20 k left to go on the revision. Art-wise, this weekend I want to finish the birch commission. I'll have to work like mad but I think I can do it, and I want to finish my revision (this pass of it) by the end of next week (plus I want to get in a full run of the trail sometime next week, all four sections). There's a Grandma day in there too (I promised her another "date".) I'm still fresh enough where this just sounds cool, not exhausting. Right now I feel like there is so much waiting for me, so much I want to do. Wow, an energy buzz and I haven't even had caffeine yet.

Think of any new stuff you're going to try this spring/summer yet?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're excited about the snow...because I thought it was MY powers of universe nudging that DID IT....I want to snowshoe a couple more times, DIG!
Wow, you are down to the wire on the rewrite...you can set yourself a goal and really go for it...I admire you for that!!!!
For spring...I will be sending out more quueries and taking a class in encaustic with other Sue (inside joke, sorry)
-Lynn

Kris Decker said...

Ryan--the parallel you of the future--was also Xtremely disappointed in the STRIPES performance on Conan. He just kept groaning, "oh man...this is SO bad!" You two are as one! Big plans for spring? Breathe in the earth-scented air and plant my garden. As you'll recall, I was all wedding-ed out last summer!!!!!!! I. CAN'T. WAIT!!!! Sounds tame and old-ladyish, I know, but I don't care. That's me, after all.

Unknown said...

Tink's son Ryan, upon meeting me and hanging out briefly with me at his sister's wedding said, "Mom-- she's like the me-- of the future!"
Yes, for an arrested adolescent like me it was a proud moment indeed.

Tink--
I know, last year you totally missed the garden thing. this year-- go nuts!

Unknown said...

Lynn--
I'm jealous of your snowshoes. I've heard they're a great work out and lots of fun. Encaustic = melted crayons or something right? sorry, too inside for me I guess. :)

JKB said...

Please please please use your powers for a PUB CONTRACT for me. LOL!! I'v seen many examples of your powers and I want to use you. :)

And waidaminute, the White Stripes disbanded? But, but but they are my favorite band! Can that be?

Unknown said...

JKB--
Workin' on it hon. :)
As for "disbanded"-- OK, not officially, but they haven't done anything together since '07, and it looks to me like Meg is flaking on him. Rumors are she's preggo-- (she wouldn't be the first to get sucked down the baby hole. Lot's of chix just "go away" for a while when that happens.)-- and he seems plenty busy w/ the Racs. I'm just speculating. I'm sure anything they decide to to in studio would PWN as always.

Maery Rose said...

Can you use your powers to make the snow stay around for awhile and maybe a couple more inches would make for better snowshoeing? I sure wish I had your energy! I'm with Lynn. Very admirable.

Unknown said...

Hi Mary--
your blog still won't let me comment but I've checked it out a few times. I like when you facebook it.
Thanks. I always figure determination won't be one of the inhibiting factors of my success because i can control that.
;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Wish I could figure out what's wrong with commenting. The only comments I think I've had were from Lynn and some dating service trying to drum up business. I had someone else tell me they had a problem but I thought that was because they used their phone.