This post is all about hair, and since it's Weird Wed-- weird hair!I've always had kind of a love-hate relationship with mine. It's been every color except full-on blond, and every length from down to my waist to about an inch-and-a-half long all over. I've had strange colored streaks (blue recently) and things woven into it and weird hippyish paraphernalia dangling from the ends. I hate to break it to you Sanjaya-- but back in the late eighties I even sported the faux-hawk a few times, so you did not invent it.
I love the idea of your hair being kind of a creative palette. You can be all wild, like getting a tattoo, but it always grows out, or you can color over it. This is called "scene" hair, not to be confused with "emo" hair. I'd have been all over this when I was younger.
Would you let your kid do this? Hey-- if you're not going to do it when you're young, you'll lose your chance. Go for it kids! Weird us out! Someday a cubicle will gobble you up and you'll have to look all normal (unless you become an artist). Be weird while you can!There is a super funny pic of me and sis from back in the eighties where we both have massive, super hairsprayed do's and we look like we think we are SO COOL-- and we look like the biggest idiots. I call it our "eurotrash" portrait. Not that long ago I had really short hair that was three different colors of red and had orange/blond streaks. I called it the atomic fireball. It was pretty rad.
When I was trying to decide what to do this time I put up this pic (below) on FB & Twitter to get opinions. I got a lot of "cutes", and a lot of "Too mullet-y"'s, and from sis-- "You in high school." (Which is kind of true. If anyone is ancient enough to remember what Eddie VanHalen's hair looked like-- that was me basically. Not that far from this cut.)(Wow- just noticed "the girls". Ugh. Put them away Katy!)
Then I put up this one and lots of people were into it. My hair is curly so this could actually be a cut that wouldn't require a full time staff to maintain. I'd love to just not give a crap about it and walk around like a normal person, completely unconcerned my hair has decided to partake in some bizarre antics without my knowledge. (This happens more often than you know!)
So this is how it turned out... Okay- I know it doesnlt look exactly like the picture, but come on-- I didn't get a face transplant, plus, not 20 anymore, and BESIDES- last night I took a shower and went to bed and it looked like this when I woke up! No effing around with it. I'm good with it.
On top of that, this updated do lets me now have Andrew VanWyngarden (MGMT) hair instead of Eddy VanHalen hair. (You can see what he looks like Fri- or just take my word for it, he looks kind of like this...)
In other SueNews:If I've sounded weird this week it's because I am, but don't worry. I'm on it. I just let myself get worn a little too thin. I'll even out again once I've gotten back into my regular work-out schedule. It's a maintenance/cyclical thing.
Once when I was talking to my mom about all the stuff I do to make sure Sue's wheels don't fall off (regular intense work-outs, staying connected to friends, eating right, etc) she said, "Don't you wish you were just normal and could just live and not think about any of that?" (Translation-- You should be on meds.)
I said no, because being forced to live conscious of maintaining a balance makes me proactive about my life-- custodial of it. It makes me try new things, make new connections, and constantly challenge myself. If I was "normal" I'd probably become complacent. This may be a pain, but it's better.

10 comments:
As a fellow member of the mental maintenance plan group, I tend to believe we're actually the healthier group. Honest. Why is it any different than your physcial health? People who ignore their mental health in the midst of the hustle and bustle are no different than those who ignore their physical health until their body crashes and burns. Knowing yourself well enough to recognize what you need to do and when in order to keep yourself reasonably level is key. As is knowing just how far off level you can get before your husband asks for a divorce.
KariLynn Dell
I like the haircut and love the "Van Halen" look.
The craziest haircut I had was probably in elementary school when everybody was getting lines or steps shaved into their hair on the sides. I also had spiky hair and a wanna-be "rat tail".
I can really speak to hair anymore. Nature has started to take away my hair options. I mostly keep it short and in the "Caesar Cut". Basically, my hair is quitting on me early, but not enough for my wife to let me shave my head.
*sigh*
Kari-
I agree. By not medicating I'm forced to monitor myself, and I'd rather be in charge of me than a pill. Some people truly need meds, but I can do other things so that's my choice.
Struggling-
I've always been kind of jealous how guys seem to not even think about their hair- but they probably do- they just can't do as much about it as we girls can (unless they want to seem like unmanly pretty boys). Chin up dude. I heard balding = massive doses of testosterone. What a stud!
For a haircut, when I was in college I used to shave one side of my head. That's right, just ONE side of my head. Right down to the bare skin. Smooth. Then I'd go over to the Graphic Arts department at school and have them airbrush something "clever" onto the side of my head. Usually words like, "What Are You Staring At?" or "Why Ask Why?". I'd change it every couple of days. Twas the early 90's people. I was cool... really! Ha ha ha!
My brother had a good one too, but his was kind of an accident. When he was a senior in high school, he wanted to look good for his senior portraits, so he tried to get his sideburns trimmed EXACTLY the same length. A little off the right side... nope, now a little off the left side... oops, too much, now go back and take a little more off the right side again... Well you get the idea. You know where this is going. He really did let it get away from him and lose track of just how high up it was getting. He ended up with a wide mohawk. It was WAY above the ears. There was much more shaved than not shaved. Just in time for senior portraits. :) I wish I could post some pics of it. It's not really an extreme haircut by any means, but it's pretty funny when you know it was an accident. Don't cut your own hair kids!
I had a killer mullet WELL into the late 90's too. Rad.
Sue: First things first - don't ever listen to your Mother. If she is anything like mine she doesn't really get me. I have made a separate compartment for her and her comments and have to keep it locked. God, that sounds awful but being a woman you can probably relate. I am glad someone can be daring with their hair, I was always afraid. The best hair story I have is about my mom buzzing my brother and him wearing a hat for a month. Secretly I think she still has that clippers.
Rich--
Watch it bud- You sound like you have closet artist tendencies-- oh but wait- you ARE a designer right? just kind of a mechanical sort? You design high performance mortorcylcles or something James Bond-like right? (To go along with your lethal weapon hands and all...) Whatever-- you've def got some creative wildness in you. (WOOT!) The mullet... well... we've all had our moments. ;)
Kim--
Oh hon, compartmentalizing mom-- do I relate or WHAT??? Actually, we get along most of the time pretty well now, but yeah-- "You know, I never thought you'd wind-up being very pretty. Those awkward years lasted a loooong time for you, but you turned out OK I guess." OR-- about my art-- (abstract) "I just don't think anyone will know what any of this is honey." OR-- about biking, running, anything remotely physical, "You just aren't built for that kind of thing. It's too hard for you. You shouldn't be doing that stuff." Or how about-- "You might be able to lose some weight, but you will NEVER have a flat stomach again. Those days are OVER for you."
Yeah, suck it mom. (flashes totally flat stomach at her.)
Wow- issues much? Sorry-- TMI
I can always relate to the efforts you put into staying healthy. And I don't believe the people who so "effortlessly" move through life are really in life. You know what I mean?
What is it about mothers that makes them turn into daughter bashers? The one thing I ever did in my life that my Mom thought was awesome was marry Greg. Sorry Mom, if you haven't noticed because you are busy with heavenly stuff, I managed to screw up again.
Craziest hair was when I cut it about an inch long and wore it all spiked. I broke my hand and was having issues with dressing myself, much less doing hair.
Mary-
I know what you mean. Totally complacent people strike me as not being fully awake or something. I'll take me pendulum swings.
I guess moms are just flawed people, like everyone else, and can't be counted on to always act how we wish they would.
I bet your spiky hair was super rad!
Post a Comment