Hey People. Sorry- no jammin' tunes for you today. Fav Music Fri is being preempted by Halloween! I love costumes, and I really love scary movies and stories-- fictional and true ones! Some of the very scariest movies ever-- to me-- involve blurring that line between sanity and insanity, and ghosts. (Is it any wonder that's what the YA trilogy I'm working on deals with?)
Check out some of my favorite scary movies-- These vids are cool because there are people talking about why the movies are so good, then showing a tiny clip.
This first one-- "The Sentinel" is from 1979. I've seen it about 3 times, and the clip they show in this vid is the one that has stuck with me all these years. Worth checking out. SUPER CREEPY!
Basically, after the unsuspecting "super model" moves into her new apartment and socializes with some of her very weird neighbors she discovers no one has lived in the building for years, and they're actually all ghosts of psychos and killers. Oh- plus there are a bunch of the "damned" wandering around because the door to hell in the lobby is leaking. (bites nails)
This next one is from the early nineties I think-- Jacob's ladder. The entire movie you're wondering if the main character is nuts and being tormented by his delusions-- or if there's something supernatural going on. I really like scary movies that aren't just gory but really are suspenseful and keep you guessing.
Another thing that really separates good scary movies from bad is atmosphere. You can't beat "The Shining" for setting. This one kind of has it all and still holds up today.
That whole "crazy" theme is viscerally scary to me-- both in terms of wondering if you yourself are going nuts-- and that queasy discovery that whoever you're talking to or whatever-- is actually batshit crazy. There's a moment when you realize it-- and a million butterflies explode in your stomach and you wonder why the hell this person has zero'd in on YOU. EEEP!
Ghost stuff-- also unendingly creepy. I've had a few ghostly encounters and my sceptic side and cosmic side are constantly duking it out. If anyone has any scary stories about ghostly experiences-- TELL ME!
This is one of my very favorite scary movies ever! "The Others" deals with that idea of reality being, well, relative. Is what you're experiencing "real?" Isn't that the essential question when it comes to our sanity? I love the shift in paradigms within this movie. Awesome storytelling, and absolutely chilling!
So-- what are your favorite scary movies? Why? Is there a certain scene or aspect of it that sends your fright meter off the charts? Tell! Tell!
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Well, I've been through my horror movies on mah blog so I'd only be repeating myself here, but omg, I love this post so much, Sue!! And it convinces me that I NEED! to see The Sentinal!!!
I know I can count on you for creepy stuff! As if that slag hammer doesn't creep me out enough!
Frankly, these days, the national news is about the most horror I can take. A few tidbits from there and I'm cowering under my covers!
I don't do well with many "scary" movies, although I do like the ones that are mainly about suspense and not the gory, bloody stuff. Slasher movies seem to just be about grossing you out and I don't like that. I like the Alfred Hitchcock and Twilight Zone kind of movies.
Post a Comment