The other night I went to let them in. There they sat, side by side, inches apart, looking both guilty and pissed off, soaking wet and caked with mud.
They'd gotten into anther little tussle, in the stream bed this time, apparently. It's the only place on our property with that kind of black, goopy mud. This pic of Ray was taken after I'd tried to wash him off with a rag. They both wound-up needing kitchen sink scrub-downs.

Yesterday I dug though our box of Halloween get-ups. I've almost talked Dan into going in this Halloween mountain bike race with me. Of course anything that involves costumes, and is active-- I want to do.Anyway, I found an old pair of my mom's reading glasses. I used to call them her "birth control glasses" when I was in high school. Nice huh? (I am so lucky I don't have some snotty kid lurking around my house to remind me of how old I am. Sorry mom.) Anyway, I'll probably be needing reading glasses sometime this year. And now I think they're kind of cute in a nerdy way. Trippy to say the least. This is def one of those moments I would have issued the "if I ever ____, just kill me" sanction on when I was young. Glad I've lived long enough to become ridiculous.
Geek chic? In other SueNews:
I'm getting kind of fried, but still have lots to do in the next three weeks. The joint that tends to wear-out that connects my thumb to my hand is getting cranky, and I think I'm suffering from the cumulative effects of the lousy air quality in my shop. The suck-wow (my work bench/ exhaust system) is working pretty good, but there is still a coating of metal dust and spray paint particles on every surface in my shop, so... not super pure air.
I've had what's left of a cold for 4 weeks now-- the last vestiges refusing to let go, mostly in the form of rubber cement in my lungs. Any time I get sick it really attacks my lungs and usually turns into bronchitis, probably because they're always a bit compromised. Dan is really on my butt about this lately. There is probably a respirator mask in my future, even though I know I'll feel all claustrophobic and hate it.
Also I'm just getting a bit burned-out. I've been working pretty full blast since the beginning of June. So have all of you right? But when I'm getting ready for something (like I have been since then, one event after another) I wind-up working weekends & some evenings, and spending a lot of my "off" time working in my head. I wind-up never really feeling like I'm off, and I get worn-out physically too. Anyway, reaching the end-- getting to that hitting the wall point and hoping I get everything done before I hit it.
I have to say I have a few people in my life who will just never really get what I do, and their little jabs about my work schedule etc ("must be nice" "some people have to have real jobs" "what are you doing today?" "working" "on what?" (like it's just some hobby of mine) etc) that I usually take with a grain of salt are wearing pretty damned thin about now. I wouldn't belittle someone else's job. Why do people feels it's acceptable to do to me? Do other creatives get this attitude?
I know being self-employed looks pretty appealing compared to working for some doofus at a job you hate-- but come on. It's still hard work.



11 comments:
Oh, I hear you! How about the people think it's just fine to call you during the day to chat (and chat and chat) because you don't have a "real" job. Ugh. I've been battling that one for years. Some people you just can't train.
Good luck getting everything done. Once your clear and have had time to rest we need to get together. Miss you!
Before I became a full-time mom (which gets its own set of comments, not terribly dissimilar), I had anywhere between one and five freelance jobs at a time. But I had "friends" who thought I was lazy, refused to work, didn't earn money or contribute to the household, et cetera. (Also my MIL.) My solution was to dump the friends (couldn't dump MIL unfortunately), which may not be practical in most situations.
Sue I think you have to take a few hours during the last of these nice days and just do something fun. Take a short breather and really enjoy it. Then go back and hit it hard. You will appreciate both things more. There is no educating those who think we do nothing all day but play. I just tell them I have a life I love and leave it at that. I do have a new art form called Zentangle that I love and just got certified to teach. My dad says it isn't art. OH well it is his loss and my gain. Someday they will all grow up.
Sorry if I've done the, "I wish I were you" thing. I know you work hard. When I say it, I mean that I'd rather be working really hard for myself than for the man. Also, I wish I could weld. :)
I like the glasses. Definitely Geek chic.
I hope you get a rest from the work soon and also feel better. I hate those colds that hold on.
First of all...the glasses look great on you. They're all the rage now!
Second of all, gosh I hope I haven't stepped in it with you, 'cause I hate that when people do that to me. People who know full well that I work for a magazine act surprised when I tell them that I work this or that weekend or that I'm busy until a certain date. "why, watch doin?"
When i tell them I'm working it's like their hair blows back. It's like all that writing gets done by itself. So babe, I feel your pain...and get a mask, a good one! is this a long comment or what.
These people must not really know you. I'm in awe of how focused and disciplined you are. Ya, I'm jealous that you don't have a boss (although you still have customer demands to meet) and that you make a living doing something you want to do, but it takes a lot of self discipline to be self employed.
Great kitty photos. Love the snugglers!
b_elliott--
Yep. I know, they'll never get it. and YES! we do need to get together-- after Nov 7th okay?
Annika-
I bet it does, and that is one hard job! Yeah, the money thing is really funny. If i did everything the same but made half a mill a year, would my job suddenly be more legit?
Kim-
The voice of reason as usual. "I have a life I love"- what more should you have to say right? I just wish it didn't grate on me so much. I decided to take a day off this week. That should help. :)
Struggling-
No worries, it's not you hon. :) You are always supportive, and I hope i am to you too.
Lynn-
I know. Esp someone like you that by necessity has to keep her non-creative job full time (for now)-- I'm sure people diminish your writing because it's "part-time", although I bet it's nearly full time anyway.
Mary-
Thanks. I'm have a little whine-fest today I guess. (if only it were a WINE-fest) Thanks. I think because it's art/writing, and is fulfilling and enjoyable, people mistake that for it not also being an entrepreneur (stressful too) and still work. Anyway-- thanks. :)
Yeah.
Keep looking for a good respirator. It's worth it to find one that fits, otherwise you won't wear it! I had to wear one when I was a ceramics student. I gave it to my dad... he used to paint cars without a mask, I kid you not. Wonder what colour his lungs are.
"I'm glad I lived long enough to get ridiculous." Brilliant. So are the spectacles!
Also, I have that kind of life too, the kind that looks like I don't "work" but I've spent 15 years raising two kids almost singlehandedly so my other half can do his job... which is so demanding, all the other workaholics admire him. Can't win eh, any of us.
Meanwhile I spent 3 years getting my instructor's certification and haven't gotten a single student. I earn nothing but at least I'm trying to change that.
As for the burnout, again, YEAH. Since about May I've been in a weird limbo and it's peaking now. I'm exhausted. I'm looking forward to the end of this transition time, cuz that's keeping me going: this is not permanent. Nothing is. YOu'll be there soon too. Gosh I finally leave a comment again and it's an freakin essay.
Cuddle those cats for me - I can't believe Ray's cuteness can't defeat his nemesis!
Heidi-
Oh so much to respond to. (hugs) I thought you'd maybe gone away. Thanks for checking in!
I know, you worked so hard getting certified, a great accomplishment! You're in a transition now I know, but things will pick up for you, i know it. You deserve it!
Ray is mega cute huh?
Those glasses are really cool! Even if you have plain lenses put in (no prescription) they're still cool to have. And I do love the name -- birth control glasses.
Now that the tide has turned those might become spawning glasses. Nerds are where it's at these days.
Cardiogirl-
Thanks. Yeah I think they're cool too. I'll wait until i need them though. As for the spawning-- not a breeder. ;)
Post a Comment