Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Here! Here- Take your weird dolls (tosses and runs back to welder)

Hey people. AHHHHHHH! I have NO TIME- yet here I am providing weird Wed fodder for you. See? All about you people. I give and I give. This is a shorty so I can get right back to work, but features one of my favorite creepy dolls EVAH.

See, I was with my pal Linda on one of our disturbia safaris. I was innocently looking inside this sinister suitcase, stuffed with victims-- one gasping and reaching for daylight-- when Linda scared the bu-jeebus out of me by holding up HER--

I know- I could hear your audible gasps all the way through the internet. Isn't she fantastic? The palid skin, the funky eye, matted hair, and if you look really close-- the bloody nose-- It could only be "night of the living dead private school girl!"

Just look (if you dare) at her milky, sightless eyes. She may look petite but don't be fooled, she wants you for your brains, and not in the good way.

Lastly, this isn't that creepy, but... We had these "people" when I was little. Sis and me would set up elaborate "sets" and create dramas that veered disturbingly into adult territory- murder, brothels, affairs, suicides, drug dealing-- nothing was off limits for our Fisher Price village. For some reason the one with the frowny face and brown hair?-- We always had her be the bad one, and would always make her die in some karmically spectacular fashion. Okay, maybe it is weird after all.

In other SueNews:

Continuing to query. So far I have one no response, two "I need more time's", and one full request. Not too bad. The next one I want to approach wants a synopsis. Do I have one? No. Did I really know totally what one is? -- Um, no. Obviously it's a condensed version of your story, but I had to do some research on exactly what they want to see when they ask for this. It's kind of time consuming. You have to go through the whole novel chapter by chapter and make cliff's notes, then go back and rewrite that so it's gripping and no longer than 2 pages. I've been working on that at night, after my night shift in the shop. So, yeah, not done yet.

Riding is going good. Loving the trail even though trying to move into higher (harder) gears is a killer. When Trusty Pam and I rode in town last Sun, doing another recon ride for the UAR, we had two separate incidents of totally smoking spandex guys who assumed they'd be faster than us. SWEET. I know it's mean, but there are few things I enjoy more. One weaved past us at a red to stop right in front of us, because, in his estimation, he'd obvs be tons faster than us on our dork bikes. Wrong dude. Very wrong.

The other time these two guys were just going way too slow for us so we passed them. I was in the lead so kept glancing at my directions as we went along, not really paying any more attention to them. But Pam said once we passed, one of them (the most spadexy one, on a road bike with little skinny tires) began really pouring it on, hunching over the bars and trying to repass us. DENIED. (and I wasn't even trying to really hammer it) (and my bike has a wind resistance creating handlebar hula girl on it.)

Of course this unleashed a completely obnoxious bout of us trash talking about how awesome we are. It was ugly people. Completely unsavory. Later, we went to Michael's and bought stuff to make handlebar streamers for our bikes. Wait until you see our complete ensembles for the UAR. Just WAIT. Us = ~*fancy*~ --and formidable. A little. Maybe. Or not. Probably only in our minds.

9 comments:

Heidi Willis said...

Sometimes I really want to just be you for a day... or even an hour.

Where in the world do you find all those creepy dolls? Are they that present and I'm just overlooking them? I tend to think you just attract them...

Congrats on the query quest. I wouldn't worry too much about the synop. I've heard lots of agents say it doesn't really need to be gripping. It just needs to let them know the story makes sense. Trust me, mine was not at all gripping. Two pages, simple. And I don't think I ever got rejected because of it.

In fact, I sent it to the publisher I'm with and they took me on based on that and my first three chapters.

And trust me, that synopsis was no work of art.

Don't sweat it. Save that for when you're welding. :)

Anonymous said...

"wind resistance creating handlebar hula girl on it" - you are officially my hero now. You were my hero before, but now it is official. Your medal is in the mail.

I don't think those "people" are creepy and I like the scenarios you and your sister created.

There should be a service you can pay to create a synopsis for your story. This sounds dreadful to me. Good luck, though.

Unknown said...

Heidi-
I'd love for you to be me for a day too IF I can pick the day. How about Fri? You stay here and weld all day so I can go play with my friends. ;)
I'm going to try to make my synopsis awesome so if nothing happens it won't be because I lamed-out. It's just a thing with me-- pwn what I can control.

Struggling--
Awe (digs toe in dirt). Garsh. Thanks! As far as the synopsis goes- they want to see how your plot lines up, AND maybe how a book jacket or pitch would read. They may wind-up using it as a sales tool, so, give 'em a good tool right?

Lynn said...

...and....you can almost see clear through school girls shirt...so creepy AND slutty!

JKB said...

....those dolls creep me the heck out!!!!

Kim Smith said...

When it comes to the boys and riding here is my idea: print a shirt with the words SLOW MOVING VEHICLE on the front, the back says I MEANT YOU! Testosterone is over rated. Love the dolls but then I always do. I would bring her happily home and give her a new life after rehab and plastic surgery.

Unknown said...

Lynn-
Ha! I see what you mean.

JKB-
I'll protect you bb.

Kim-
Good one! Yeah, if these guys actually trained and stuff it would be a different story to be sure, but just being a dude, buying an expensive bike, and wearing the outfit doesn't automatically make you a superstar. ;)

Rich said...

Way to demoralize the roadies! :)

Maery Rose said...

Love the gloating! Thanks for taking the time to entertain us. I can never get enough of creepy dolls...