Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Round Two...

Ok-- I PROMISE not to do this every day, but I'm a little obsessed right now. Taking another crack at my query pitch for anyone who'd like to weigh in. The comments from yesterday's post were so helpful.

Here's my revision based on that feedback:

Dianna has a secret. She’s about to turn eighteen but really can’t imagine making it through another year. She sees ghosts she tries to ignore, but it only makes them more aggressive. She isn’t entirely sure she’s sane, is too terrified to let anyone know what’s going on, and is so sick of the Motel Hell her life has become, she’s already half checked-out.

When she’s dragged off to a hippy hideaway to spend the summer with her mom, she’s less than thrilled. But there she’ll meet the people who will teach her to connect, and maybe even save her life-- if she’ll let them.

While trying to avoid both the living and the dead she stumbles onto Dave, and strikes up an unlikely, anti-social alliance. Drawn to his broody ways and sardonic humor, he soon becomes her best friend-- but it’s complicated. For one thing—he has no idea he’s dead. When she discovers his true identity—her dad, missing since before she was born-- her determination to solve the mystery of his disappearance and insistence on keeping him a secret could cost her her life.

In other Sue-news: We discovered a new obscure muscle group on Dan last night-- the exasperated eye roll reflex inhibitors. I'm guessing roughly 22 small muscles are involved. The upper part of his face was actually pulsating with effort! Last summer I discovered the seldom seen thumb biceps (picture someone making little muscle-man arms with their thumbs). I talked to him about over training, made sure there were no steroid issues. He's clean, just very, very strange.

Today will be spent writing -- working on first draft of #2, continuing to think about my query pitch for #1, and of course, participating in the obsessive email , twitter, and blogger checking cycle of procrastination. Thanks in advance to anyone who throws their two cents on the comment pile. :D

12 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

I reading! I just dont' comment enough!

This version is better- it flows better and it's clearer and man, I am not good with queries. Gah.

But I will hand you a nice big robe and put the laser pointer away.

Your blog never stops making me smile and snicker and you know what? keep doing what you do!! This totally sounds like a book I'd read! Go, go go!!!!

Unknown said...

Awe Heidi--
Thanks chicka!
Maybe one day-- joint Oprah appearances?? Nah-- we're way to edgy for her-- right?!

JKB said...

I like this, Pseu, but I think it's too long. Think a paragraph - 250 words, tops.

Can you condense it more? I love queries and query making, and I'm happy to help whenever.

You can also email me if you need...

Unknown said...

jkb--
Bless you woman!
I'll probably take you up on that...

Unknown said...

ok anyone following this masochistic exhibition of my lack of query mojo--
here's ANOTHER, shorter yet version:

Dianna is about to turn eighteen, and about to detonate. She really can’t imagine making it through another year of the Motel Hell her life has become. She sees ghosts. Terrified she’s losing her mind, she keeps her head down, and her mouth shut.

When she’s dragged off to a hippy hideaway to spend the summer with her mom, she knows it will be torture. While trying to avoid both the living and the dead she stumbles onto Dave, and strikes up an unlikely, anti-social alliance. He becomes her best friend-- but it’s complicated. For one thing—he has no idea he’s dead. When she discovers his true identity—her dad, missing since before she was born-- her determination to solve the mystery of his disappearance and insistence on keeping him a secret could cost her her life.

Better?

Heidi the Hick said...

Better, yes.

And JKB is one of the masters of the query, I'll tell you that for sure.

Unknown said...

Thanks again Heidi--
Man, it is so nice to have some cool writer pals to check in with when you begin to feel all hopeless.

Everybody, really-- thanks!

Anonymous said...

I really like the last one that you wrote as well. Short and sweet and says it all...makes me want to know more.
Wow...such great input for everyone...I'm pulling up a chair.

Unknown said...

Hi lynn!
Yep-- It's where all the cool kids hang out.

Anonymous said...

The last version is GREAT! Concise, informative and intriquing. I love how you write!! go, go, go!! Can I drive the bus when you go to see Oprah??

See you Thursday...get your work done so we can play. :)

Anonymous said...

Much better--one crit:

"When she discovers his true identity—her dad, missing since before she was born-- her determination to solve the mystery of his disappearance and insistence on keeping him a secret could cost her her life."

Take out her dad, missing since before she was born. Then you've got a teaser and an agent wanting to know just what his true identity is!

Unknown said...

Linda--
Thanks pal! -- Looking forward to our next disturbia round-up!

Courtney--OMG! I actually woke up at like 3 am thinking exactly that! Thanks for confirming-- Coming from you, it feels like solid advice. Otherwise I'd be flip flopping on it.
Thanks! :)