The local weather guy, reporting from one of our modest ski hills this morning, signed off with, “Fresh pow!—You bet’cha.” Minnesota—god luv it.
I can’t believe another week has flown by. I have one gift left to buy. Since I know there is zero possibility my grandma will see this I’ll spill it—I want to find a decent (not necessarily fancy) spa in her area where there is a very kind and careful massage therapist who is capable of giving a 94 y/o woman a massage without breaking her—or weirding her out—also not costing a small fortune. She’s never had one in her whole life. About time wouldn’t you say?
Anyway—much more catching up on Sue goings on this weekend sometime. Stay tuned. Lots of pics to load up and charming weirdness to report.
On to today’s topic—The Killers.
Some of you may remember not long ago I got into this post about giving it up creatively and was comparing them with The Kaiser Chiefs. Since then I’ve heard the song they performed – “Spaceman” several more times and it’s really grown on me. I found this vid on youtube (scroll all the way to bottom) and adorably earnest Brandon Flowers is wearing the very same feather festooned jacket I described before!
This song is cool, no doubt, but the thing that really grabs me about this vid, same as when I caught them on T.V. a couple weeks ago—is what is emanating from Brandon Flowers. He looks ready to jump out of his skin. He looks amped, and determined, and maybe even slightly terrified—like he’s trying to beam his song right into your consciousness, willing you to get it, like his life depends on it. I don’t know why but I just really feel it.
These guys reportedly came up rather poor. None of them are college guys. They met at some real estate seminar. Call it reverse snobbery—call it anti- intellectualism—but bands, or any artists-- who come from not much resonate with me for obvious reasons. Sure the smart thing, as a musician, is to go to some nice college and have your little band fun playing frat parties and local bars. If something happens—great! If not, well, lucky for you, you have other options. If you are just out there going for it without a net and nothing happens—you wind-up being just another guy working a string of construction jobs until, much sooner than you’d ever imagine, your body starts to break down, and you’re kind of screwed. Who do you think the stakes are higher for?
Take that scenario, and consider what kind of commitment to your creativity it takes to put stuff out there people may or may not relate to, because it’s just what’s clawing its way out of you. Yeah. You go Brandon Flowers, and all the rest of you out there doing your thing come hell or high water—you go.
“Spaceman”
by The Killers
It started with a low light,
Next thing I knew they ripped me from my bed;
And then they took my blood type,
It left a strange impression in my head.
You know that I was hoping,
That I could leave this star-crossed world behind;
But when they cut me open,
I guess I changed my mind.
And you know I might
Have just flown too far from the floor this time,
'cause they calling me by my name!
And the zipping white light beams
disregards the bombs and satellites!
That was the turning point;
That was one lonely night!
The song maker says, "It ain't so bad"
The dream maker's going make you mad
The spaceman says, "Everybody look down!
Its all in your mind!"
Well now I'm back at home, and-
I’m looking forward to this life I live;
You know its gonna haunt me,
So hesitation to this life I give.
You think you might cross over,
You're caught between the devil and the deep blue sea;
You better look it over,
Before you make that leap!
And you know I'm fine, but I hear those voices at night
sometimes... they justify my claim,
and the public don’t dwell on my transmission
'cause it wasn’t televised...
But, it was the turning point,
Oh what a lonely night!
The song maker says, "It ain't so bad"
The dream maker's going make you mad;
The spaceman says, "Everybody look down!
Its all in your mind!"
The song maker says, "It ain't so bad"
The dream maker's going make you mad;
The spaceman says, "Everybody look down!
Its all in your mind!"
My global position systems are vocally addressed;
They say the Nile used to run from east to west,
They say the Nile used to run… from east to west.
And you know I'm fine,
but I hear those voices at night,
sometimes...
The song maker says, "It ain't so bad"
The dream maker's going make you mad;
The spaceman says, "Everybody look down!
Its all in your mind!"
The song maker says, "It ain't so bad"
The dream maker's going make you mad;
The spaceman says, "Everybody look down...
Its all in your mind!"
It's all in my mi-i-ind,
It's all in my mind...
It's all in my mind...
It's all in my mind...
It's all in my mind
oh oh oh oh oh oh oooah x8
Hey- They're touring NOW, so check out their site.
As always support the artists you enjoy-- buy their stuff.
by The Killers
It started with a low light,
Next thing I knew they ripped me from my bed;
And then they took my blood type,
It left a strange impression in my head.
You know that I was hoping,
That I could leave this star-crossed world behind;
But when they cut me open,
I guess I changed my mind.
And you know I might
Have just flown too far from the floor this time,
'cause they calling me by my name!
And the zipping white light beams
disregards the bombs and satellites!
That was the turning point;
That was one lonely night!
The song maker says, "It ain't so bad"
The dream maker's going make you mad
The spaceman says, "Everybody look down!
Its all in your mind!"
Well now I'm back at home, and-
I’m looking forward to this life I live;
You know its gonna haunt me,
So hesitation to this life I give.
You think you might cross over,
You're caught between the devil and the deep blue sea;
You better look it over,
Before you make that leap!
And you know I'm fine, but I hear those voices at night
sometimes... they justify my claim,
and the public don’t dwell on my transmission
'cause it wasn’t televised...
But, it was the turning point,
Oh what a lonely night!
The song maker says, "It ain't so bad"
The dream maker's going make you mad;
The spaceman says, "Everybody look down!
Its all in your mind!"
The song maker says, "It ain't so bad"
The dream maker's going make you mad;
The spaceman says, "Everybody look down!
Its all in your mind!"
My global position systems are vocally addressed;
They say the Nile used to run from east to west,
They say the Nile used to run… from east to west.
And you know I'm fine,
but I hear those voices at night,
sometimes...
The song maker says, "It ain't so bad"
The dream maker's going make you mad;
The spaceman says, "Everybody look down!
Its all in your mind!"
The song maker says, "It ain't so bad"
The dream maker's going make you mad;
The spaceman says, "Everybody look down...
Its all in your mind!"
It's all in my mi-i-ind,
It's all in my mind...
It's all in my mind...
It's all in my mind...
It's all in my mind
oh oh oh oh oh oh oooah x8
Hey- They're touring NOW, so check out their site.
As always support the artists you enjoy-- buy their stuff.
2 comments:
You have some incorrect information about the boys. It would be good to read their bios so you can correct it. Also, it's not "songmaker" it's "starmaker"
Thanks for stopping by "annon".
I got the info from an interview given by Brandon Flowers, so figured it was pretty accurate. Sorry about the lyric misprint-- still a cool song and I still like what they're doing.
Cheers.
Post a Comment