Saturday, December 13, 2008

I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm - It's A Wonderful Life

There is one Christmas tradition I enjoy that would probably surprise some of you- because it’s pretty darn traditional. Every year Dan and I lounge around on the sofa together and watch “It’s A Wonderful Life” on network T.V.

We don’t have cable (no, not Amish, just choose not to afford), and there is something about the show just playing, regardless of you and your schedule, of it’s own accord, something immediate. It preserves the old “but it’s on right now” urgency some of you may remember from before the dawn of Tivo. When he called me on the cell I was already turning onto Main Street with our pizza on the passenger seat.

“Where are you? It’s starting!”

We both love this movie. Old black and white Jimmy Stewart was my first movie boyfriend. We have to watch this every year or it just doesn't feel like Christmas. We laugh in all the same old spots, and sit there most of the evening with goofy nostalgic grins on our faces. I usually con a bit of leg rubbing out of him every night, sprawling shamelessly all over him, pestering him until he relents, but during “our show” I didn’t even have to ask.

Last night I took my 94 year old grandma out on a date for her birthday. We ran a bunch of errands, then I took her out to dinner. We pigged out, having an appetizer before out meal, then I drove her around for couple hours looking at Christmas lights. After, we stopped somewhere for pie.

On the ride home she said, “Did you see that man and woman come in to have pie right as we were leaving? That was nice. You never get over that—missing someone to go have pie or whatever with. You always miss it.”

I went to live with her the summer my grandpa died, to help ease the transition for her. She’d never even put gas in her car, or gone grocery shopping by herself, well, not for years and years. She was devastated at losing him. I asked her one night, if it was worth it—was it worth all the agonizing heartache of the loss? -- The years she’d had with him? She had to think it over, but in the end said yes—It was.

That was when I went all in with Dan. I was already in big time love with him, but at that point I really committed. He didn’t fully understand when I told him, “This BETTER wind-up being worth it, or, or—it just better be. That’s all.” So far it has been totally worth it. He seems to think so too.

See? Not a total Scrooge. Here’s hoping you find a little patch of peace during the crazy holiday season, and that you either find that person to share pie with, or look over at who ever is next to you and let them know how glad you are that they’re around.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That so sweet, I love it!
New Pic? Did Katie send a new hat?
-Lynn

Unknown said...

Hey lynn--
It is pretty sweet isn't it. I have my moments. The hat is the one she made last year. Sometimes in winter, it's my primary motivation for running. It just boosts my mood.

JKB said...

AW! The sweetness, it killz!

But I think it's worth it too. :)

K. said...

Just dropping by to say thanks for adding me to your blog roll!

Love your collages, too. ;-)

My Gran sounds very similar to yours. She never even got her diver's license, and her and my Granddad did everything together. When he died, she was just lost. But having all those years with him was worth it to her, too.

Unknown said...

JKB- yeah, perspective pwns huh?

Kelly- Thanks so much for stopping by!
Yeah, my grandma has done amazingly well at "getting a life" in the subsequent years. I've learned a lot.

Anonymous said...

My husband ask me tonight with a totally serious look on his face "Why do you yell at me so much?" And I replied "Because you are so dumb....sweetie" and he laughed. Ten minutes later he lifted our 40lb Australian shepherd up on the the kitchen counter just so he could have a look around and I said "See!" and he said "Yeah you're right."
Dumb but fun and so very very kind hearted and worth having around for years and years. Nice post.

Unknown said...

Mindy-- Awe, yeah. Someday you'll be all ancient and say, "Remember when you put the dog on the counter just so he could see what everything looked like from human level? -you old goof-ball..." and you'll both just sit there and smile.
Luv rocks.