I stumbled onto something really helpful the other day. This happens-- if you pay close enough attention, sometimes wisdom drops like a cosmic gumball into your head. In the "Keepin it real" post I commented that if you concentrate on striving for your purest creativity in whatever you're doing-- at really doing the absolute best you can- giving it all up-- you at least will never have regrets about the work itself. Hello? -- universe to Sue...
That's what I need to concentrate on right now. I decided I'm not going to get out there querying again until sometime in Jan, and until then I need to quit obsessing about finding an agent. It's beginning to interfere with my actual work-- creating.
What the heck is this thing? It's obviously a cutlery tray, but to me it's also a really inspiring piece of rusted metal. This thing has been kicking around the antique shop in Buffalo for months. I'm not going to buy it because it's too expensive for what it is-- but I love looking at it. Weird? - yeah. But at this point whatever feeds my imagination / soul.I could use some inspiration right now. This morning a twitter/blogger buddy linked a really cool writing blog and I added it to my list, but I could use more. What are some things that inspire you? Any good art / writing blogs you know of? What gets you to pull out of a nosedive?
11 comments:
I think you already have lots of things to keep you out of a nosedive! Being aware of it is one thing right there.
I'm not starting up on queries again til January either. They're all clearing their work right now anyways.
For now, get some tunes on and take some goofy pictues of things in ways you never thought of looking at them before. Sometimes I like to sit on the ground and take pictures of my horses' necks and jaws from that angle. They look like giraffes with mooseheads! haw haw haw!
Loved your holiday letter. I gotta do that.
Hi Heidi-- yes, I'm not worried, just know I need to refocus.
Great advice! - I think a photo-fest is order, right after I finish cleaning (shudder).
yes- actually happening today- really!
Quit being so down on yourself. In fact, you should come out and play tag...because you're it.
Here are the rules to the Game.
You link back to the person that tagged you.
Share 7 random/weird things about yourself.
Tag 7 people and link to them.
Leave a notice on their comments letting them know you have tagged them. And the game goes on.
www.thelongroad2heaven.blogspot.com
Hi kat--
kat is a really good writer if any of you want to link up to another writer blog.
I hate "chain" stuff, so, sorry, but it kind of dies here.
Thanks for stopping by though!
Refocusing is always good. I think some of it is that it's the end of the year, and idk, the end of the year always seems to bring with it these types of feelings. Here is to January 1st and a fresh start! I hope you feel renewed soon. I love having a look around etsy for visual inspiration, to see what people are creating. :)
GREAT suggestion Courtney!
(For anyone not in the know-- go to Courtney's blog IMMEDIATELY and help celebrate her great news-- first copies of her book just arrived!)
Etsy is totally addicting. I haven't been there in super long. kind of forgot about it. Definitely worth another visit.
Hi, I was sent over by Kat from The Long Road To Heaven, she linked you on her current post.Hang in there your time will come, You'll find an agent & you'll be published one day. You'll see. :)
I love rusted metals, they have so many stories behind them. I can just imagine what that tray has been through. lol!
http://thejoereview.com/
Hi Betty,
Thanks for visiting and for the words of encouragement.
I think that's one reason I like stuff like that too-- the unknown history.
I should have mentioned Kate's blog is http://thelongroad2heaven.blogspot.com/
Her tag game looks pretty fun-- her answers are up on her site if you want to play.
Sorry KAT-- typo not error-
Kat Harris's blog is
The long Road To Heaven.
Lead me to the caffeine-- now.
Hey Sue! Erm, sorry a bit late to this...but wanted to tell you I have also decided to go "on holiday" until after the new year. No queries, no angst, just writing new stuff.
We can resume punishing ourselves in '09. :D
Also, I ~think~ you might be on here already, but if you aren't, the Blueboards are a cornucopia of information and encouragement: http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php
Hi Em!
Never too late. I think we're kind of on the same page (ha!) (sorry...)as far as where we are in the process goes.
It's funny-- I've heard querying in Dec is pointless, so, ok-- I've decided to quit obsessing until sometime next month. FUNCTIONALLY this changes only the intensity with which I open my inbox. Yeah.
Whatever-- You're right-- plenty of time to castigate ourselves in the new year!
I've been to verla kay but haven't really spent much time over there. I'll have to revisit-- thanks for the tip!
Post a Comment